Blog Comments

I know a guy who was fired from an editing job for trying to do exactly that. Academics don't want to be understood; they want to seem to be beyond understanfing. If people could understand them, then they would be seen as the dull-witted people that they are.
    Such work is produced on the campus because academicians promote the use of literary jargon to a ridiculous degree. Why not state a point simply and clearly in academic essays instead of changing language tosuch a degree?
    Yes, if there is money to be made, then someone will try to tap it. If people took a little responsibility for themselves they could save a lot.
    Nice entry. Speaking of seeking treatment for problems that can't be helped by medical care, what about the drug advertisements we also see? I guess that applies to the U.S. only, since this is one of the few countries that allows advertisments for prescription drugs. There's that troublesome "restless leg syndrome" I hear about on commercials. If you have tingling in your legs you should see your doctor, the commercial tells you. And I guess no one wants to improve upon an issue if money can be made when that issue is made into a problem.
    If I were a professor who received such a paper, I probably flunk on the paper and give a countervailing extra to even things out. It would depend on the course, and if one looked at enough of the output, then one probably would find enough sentences or even paragraphs that would work. I did turn in material from that site in a creative writing class when the assignment was to put together some "found poetry".
    I have heard about someone doing that. And it getting a passing grade too.
    Freud regularly comes up.
    Did you read the piece on the reason for that page and its origin? Someone submitted a paper created by this or a similar program to a conference, and it was accepted for presentation. That person was starting to read it when the few people who knew started laughing uncontrollably.
    That site really has college campus criticism nailed. That's all the key buzz words: Marxism, partiarchal, sex. I guess this last one is missing Freud.
    If one examines patriarchialist narrative, one is faced with a choice: either reject libertarianism or conclude that the goal of the observer is significant form. In a sense, the subject is contextualised into a that includes sexuality as a paradox.
    Some of the stuff that comes up is hilarious, and some seems completely serious. http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/ It's great place for relaxing the mind.
    thank goodness!! I was flicking through it and giggling at this part:
    “Class is intrinsically responsible for the status quo,” says Marx; however, according to Abian[8] , it is not so much class that is intrinsically responsible for the status quo, but rather the economy of class. The primary theme of Bailey’s[9] model of modernism is not semioticism per se, but subsemioticism. In a sense, the subject is interpolated into a that includes narrativity as a reality.
    . The economy of class? model of modernism is subsemioticism??
    Thank God you said that. I was trying to make heads or tails. This is the type of garbage that passes for literary criticism on college campuses.
    BTW, this was produced by a text manipulation program. To the best of my knowledge, there no actual idea or coherent thought in this.
    I'm noot surprised aith that reaction. B&B Seems like the McDonald's of bookstores, and the people they hire fit, so they have never even noticed the interesting, tasty, and tasteful of literature. I prefer used book stores.
    Hey, thanks for that advice on reading "Maybe You Should Write a Book" -- afterall, if an editor tells us his/her thoughts on the business, this could only be useful information, no? So thanks, PeterL.
    Thanks, but it isn't a matter of luck; it is a matter of necessity.
    Perhaps you haven't read "FENIMORE COOPER'S LITERARY OFFENCES" by Mark Twain. After you read that, you will have a reasonable opinion of Fennimore-Cooper's writing. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3172/3172.txt
    ?? You don't like Cooper?
    hey, I've got that Copi book on my bookshelf right now (I had to double check the name). It was given to me by a friend, who taught philosophy at the college here. Sadly, I have yet to give it more than a half-hearted browsal (logic's not my thing), but maybe over this summer I'll spend some more time with it. Thanks for the reminder.
    Copi's book is a common introduction to Logic. There's nothing special about it, but it's easy to work with.