View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Is the World Getting Stranger?

by , 11-06-2014 at 09:28 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Thereís strange **** coming down in Babylon.

Itís hard to tell, but it seems that the news has been stranger this year than in any other time in the last few centuries, but I canít be sure about that. It is possible that I have just noticed strange news stories more than in earlier, and it is also possible that reporters are reporting stranger things. Consider international news.

Around the end of last year it looked like there would be fewer wars for a while, but ...
  2. Superabundance of Laws

by , 11-03-2014 at 10:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I sent a letter to several newspapers in regard to one of the referenda that will be on the Massachusetts. Perhaps it will make a difference, but there was what I regard as a problem with the question, because neither side of the question was good. Fundamentally, it is a matter of over-regulating and over-legislating. There are too many laws and regulations. I was initially just thinking about state laws, but the problem is much worse when one looks at federal laws and regulations. ...

Updated 11-03-2014 at 10:32 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Civil Forfeiture

by , 11-01-2014 at 10:14 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't often think about civil forfeiture, but when it comes to mind I am bothered by it. A similar system was used by the British before the American Revolution, and it was one of the many things that led to the revolution. A couple of decades ago some clown pointed out that civil forfeiture had been used by the legal system that the U.S. adopted, so the U.S. should take up civil forfeiture. Apparently no one bothered to mention that the wording if the Forth and Fifth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution ...
  4. Atlantis Located, or Something Like That

by , 10-29-2014 at 10:05 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't often think about the Atlantis story, but it came to mind recently as a part of a story that I started writing. I needed something like that as a plot device. Well, to make a longish story brief, I didn't find Atlantis, but I am 99% certain that I have figured out where Tartessos is, and one theory is that Atlantis was based on Tartessos. But the location of Tartessos was uncertain until earlier today, when I found it.

I was looking for a good Bronze Age, or so, setting for ...

Updated 10-30-2014 at 04:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Who Are Modern Humans

by , 10-27-2014 at 09:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It might simply be that most of the magazine articles that are written about evolutionary anthropology are written by journalists who donít know much about evolutionary Anthropology, but I still find it annoying to read things like this article about genetic evidence of interbreeding between so-called modern humans and Neanderthals around sixty thousand years ago. http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...g-habits-video The basic ...