View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Missing the Reality

by , 09-01-2016 at 06:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have started to think that humans are opposed to rational thought. Simply starting for a reasonable premise (a premise based in reality) and accurate evidence, and then making logical deductions based on those leads to something reasonable. It was an excellent way to figure things out, but reasoning seems to have been abandoned by many people, perhaps even most people. People often start from bits of fiction and fantasize from that. It’s one thing to kid around, but I have heard or seen too many ...
  2. Rewriting the Social Contract

by , 08-23-2016 at 02:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “Social Contract theory, nearly as old as philosophy itself, is the view that persons' moral and/or political obligations are dependent upon a contract or agreement among them to form the society in which they live.” From the article on “Social Contract theory” in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, http://www.iep.utm.edu/soc-cont/

The idea to Social Contract doesn’t often come to mind, but it’s there in the background most of the time, but it has come up a few times ...
  3. Let's Upgrade To Monarchy

by , 08-18-2016 at 02:32 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was reminded recently that monarchy really is the best and most efficient form of government, and, if the monarch is reasonably intelligent, then it is the most humane form of government. But the best thing about monarchy is that it eliminates silly, wasteful, and unpleasant elections, and it makes it relatively unlikely that the dregs of society will end up involved in running a country.

By dregs I mean people like Donald Trump. In my brief life we have had some amazingly incompetents ...
  4. The New Crusade

by , 08-16-2016 at 03:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Even though it isn't a major issue in the news, there is a holy war going on. DAESH would like to be fighting against the princes of Christendom, as their ancestors did centuries ago, but there aren't any princes of Christendom anymore. The issues that DAESH is fighting about are not issues to more than a few people outside of their organization. Eight hundred or a thousand years ago religious power was a major concern, but in most of the world religion is a personal matter that is not part of governmental ...

Updated 08-16-2016 at 03:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Single-mindedness

by , 08-11-2016 at 04:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “Cave ab homine unius libri.” Beware the man of one book. Pliny the Elder

This fine adage came to mind earlier today, when I was listening to a man who thinks that the Jews control the world, and that all evil comes from them (he thinks The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is non-fiction). There seem to be many people who put their faith into a single item or narrow set of beliefs. Religious zealots are of this sort and sports fanatics also, but sports fanatics seldom go to war over ...