Blog Comments

My blog has about 5 people read it, but who is complaining?
    Updated 12-13-2012 at 10:55 PM by Buh4Bee
    Intestinal flora tend to grow as they will, even when attempts are made to keep certain ones out, so the idea of re-odorizing gas will remain a pipe-dream. Imagine the annoyance of having to kill off all of your flora everytime the locally preferred variety kills off the ones that are making you smell like roses. The you would have to ingest a collection of the correct flora and hope that they throve. It's a great idea whose time may never come.

On the other hand, the calendar would be useful and easy to use, and it would improve life for everyone from the first week.

People have been reading my blog for quite some time. One entry is in the top five.
    Updated 12-14-2012 at 02:21 PM by PeterL (typo)
    I think I liked your idea about Gas better, but it just may be me. Hey, at least people are reading your blog. Points for that!
    I don't expect the world to end, but I do expect that an era in time will end. That is why it is a perfect time for a new calendar to be introduced. As I mentioned, I have aready calculated the dates; I just have to load them on here. I amy just convert to RTF and see what happens.
    I am eagerly awaiting, but I fear this will be yet another dissapointement in which the world fails to end.
    Most intrigued.
    There might be a work-around, but it would be the work of several decades, and it might require that the small intestine would be permanently damaged, such that it would not absorb as well as it should.
    Updated 12-09-2012 at 09:40 AM by PeterL (succinctness)
    You're right. It would get absorbed as it's being generated.
    Si wguxcg fragrance would you like to use? We have florals and some fruit fragrances. We started selling beer fragrance, but people were being harassed for being drunk. We tried for leather, but it isn't coming out right.
    No, it would be absorbed by the small intestine almost immediately. Things ferment one molecule at a time; yeast cells don't do large masses, unless there are large masses of yeast cells also. I see what you mean, but the amount of time depends on the concentration of yeast cells and fermentablle molecules. There are ways to speed up fermentation, but those also rely on yeast doing one molecule at a time. If it could be made enough faster, and we could keep the sugars from being absorbed, then we probably could get drunk on alcohol produced in our guts.

The problem would be that the sugars that are fermentable would tend to be absorbed by the intestine very quickly, so there isn't much to be fermented.
    But even if it produced alcohol in any quantity, wouldn't it pass through the digestive system before it could fully ferment? It takes weeks for juices to ferment.
    Well that's an earthy blog! Strange how the winds of inspiration pass (excuse the pun ) through our...ur, minds.
    The Second Amendment clearly states that the right to have and to bear arms shall not be infringed. The main reason for that amendment was to insure that citizens would have the wherewithall to overthrow the government when it became abusive.

The reality is that the federal government cannot do anything that it does not have the constitutional authority to do. If something passes congress and is signed that is not authorized, then it still is not law. I think it would be more accurate to say that the government has demonstrated that the people should exercise their right to overthrow the government.
    Updated 10-23-2018 at 04:12 PM by PeterL
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL
    All knives are legal in all places.
    Don't know on what basis you make that claim.

Each American state also has laws that govern the legality of carrying weapons, either concealed or openly, and these laws explicitly or implicitly cover various types of knives. Some states go beyond this, and criminalize mere possession of certain types of knives. Other states prohibit the possession and/or the concealed carrying of knives that feature blade styles or features sufficient to transform them into "dangerous weapons"[73][74] or "deadly weapons", i.e. knives either optimized for lethality against humans or designed for and readily capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.[73][75] These frequently include knives with specific blade styles with a historical connection to violence or assassination, including thrusting knives such as the dirk, poignard, and stiletto, and double-edged knives with crossguards designed for knife fighting such as the dagger.[73][76] Some states make the carrying or possession of any dangerous or deadly weapon with intent to unlawfully harm another a crime.[73]

In states like Alabama,[77] Mississippi,[78] New Mexico,[79][80] Texas,[73] and Virginia,[73] the carrying on one's person of large and lengthy fighting knives capable of causing grievous wounds such as the Bowie Knife[81] is prohibited by statute,[73][82] originally in the interest of controlling or eliminating the then-common practice of "dueling", a term which had degenerated from a rarely used social custom into a generalized description for any knife or gun fight between two contestants.[76][83] In many jurisdictions, a local tradition of using knives to settle differences or for self-defense[76][84] resulted in the enactment of statutes that restricted the size and length of the knife and particularly, the length of its blade.[76]
    There's a lot more. You can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_l...tes_of_America

The Consitution is the government's permission to exist. The government cannot do anything that it was not given permission to do.
    I agree. Unfortunately the reality does not meet the theory. Lawyers create all this mumbo jumbo twisting of language that after that horrid decision of a couple of months ago (where the country can now dictate that you have to buy something) I resigned myself to the fact that the constitution is pretty much meaningless. Other than take up arms against the government and subsequently be annihilated there is nothing we can do. My patriotism to the country as it stands today dropped dramatically a few months ago. The country doesn't feel like a free country any longer. I live here, I earn a salary, I take care of my family, I vote, I certainly don't wish the country any ill will, I even try to push her to what I consider free through my free speech, if they don't take that away. But this isn't any longer the country I grew up in.
    All knives are legal in all places. They are arms, so they are protected under the Second Amendment. Whether they are seized, or someone is penalized for having one is, government agents have transgressed the rights of users of the airport. Such actions are also violations of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments guarantees of freedom from unwarranted search and seizure and of due process, respectively.

The Consitution is the government's permission to exist. The government cannot do anything that it was not given permission to do.
    Actually they don't seize a knife at an airport, unless it's an illegal knife. I was traveling with someone and he had forgotten his pocketknife in his briefcase and they gave him the opportunity to mail it back. They don't seize it, but you can't pass security with it. So you have a decision to make.

Nonetheless your points are well taken. I've never seen the constitution trashed as it has the last few years. When the Supreme Court made that horrid decision a couple of months ago, I realized it's just a piece of paper with words to get around.
    As I feared, some of thelinks don't work anymore. But http://www.thincs.org/ is still there, and tat has some links.

Shirley is also still there, and that information is good.
    http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/cholesterol.htm
    The theoretical efficiency is less than for steam engines than for internal combustion, because tere is los when the steam is heated. But the loss from friction is much, much less for steam engines, because tey have few moving parts. I haven't yet seen estimates for the percentage of power lost through friction, buy it is considerable. Steam engines also allow one to reuse the heat in the steam by preheating the water.

Trains are where steam lasted the longest; steam traction engines were being made into the 1950's.By that time they were head to head with the diesel engines that replaced them.
    No, I have not. I may be old but not that old.

Very interesting Peter. I really enjoyed reading this. What's not clear to me is how would you heat up the water to create steam? Wouldn't that require a fuel? And if you have to do that, isn't the change of state, which you might have to do twice (the fuel and the water) make it less efficient right there? Also the heat capacity of water is very high compared to most other materials, and that would mean it would take more energy to change its temperature. On the plus side though it would mean that it would maintain its temperature longer. Not sure if there is a net gain there. There must be a reason why even ships when away from steam. Now trying to make a steam car would be one great little project.
    Has anyone had a steam powered car?