Blog Comments

I don`t want to be considered as a fascist or crazy one, so won`t write what I think about it....but you are right
    I can almost understand confusing those two things. They are both monuments made of metal and designed by Frenchmen in the latter half of the 19th century.

I am thinking that moving to an uninhabited tropical island would really be a good idea. There are many people who are quite nice, but they are a small minority of humanity. Or we could devise a deadly and incurable disease that would only attack people with IQ's of less than 115. Then we could devise a few other deadly diseases that would make the remnant population even pleasanter.
    There's a short story or novel there.
    I am not so sure whether we can go back. We don`t have such conscience, I think. For example, I couldn`t live without city. I don`t feel any need of contact with the nature.
    Proto- Indo-European is very far away from us. In Poland we do not have contact with those elements which created polish culture. Maybe it`s only my opinion but it seems to me that it`s correct.
    I have noticed the same in Poland. I have quite big experience in teaching and I see every day very clearly that polish teenagers are having worse and worse intelectual possibilities. For example today, one of my students has confused The Statue of Liberty with The Eiffel Tower.

I am exhausted living with people who simply don`t use their brain. I am simple fed up.... Once upon a time, I have started to be frightened that one day I would be forced to exist among brainless beings.
    I have noticed that there are people in their teens who behave as if they had Alzheimer's, but it gets worse as they age. Too much alcohol can do nasty things to brains. If you ever see people you knew when you were a child, then you might notice that the ones who weren't very sharp have become relatively worse, especially if they drink more than they should.
    If someone doesn't fo much, then it doesn't make much difference: up in the morning, work in a simple job, watch TV at night with a bottle of booze, and repeat for a few decades, and the person will look normal until he goes out and deals with people.
    Updated 03-14-2013 at 04:21 PM by PeterL (typo)
    Translating it into the local languages made it easier for those who wanted to to read the thing, and that didn't do any good for anyone except the publishers.

I think it is much better to go back to the original Gods and Goddesses, but we would have to do that in Proto-Indo-European to get it right.
    Thanks for the compliment

Very often I doubt in myself.

Recently, I have realized that there are many people in Poland, even in mid 40. with whom I cannot communicate. Well, i have to do it. In Medical Center where I work, we have many patients who despite their age, behave as if they had Alzheimer`s disease or very serious problem with using the brain.
    Translation didn`t make people to read Bible. It seems to me that people going to the church don`t know why they go there. So translating The Holy Scripture for them was meaningless. We should go back to Latin, I think. However in Poland it`s rather imposible.
    I tend to agree. I was brought up going to Catholic Churches that used the Latin mass, and it was fine with me.
    I think that translating the Bible was not a good idea, but putting the magic of a religious ceremony into the ordinary language makes it less mysterious and more commonplace. It changed the experience from going to a special place to going to an ordinary social event.
    You probably don't have much to worry about on that. People talk about memory loss in old people, but only happens to people who don't have a very good brain to start with. Highly intelligent people, like you, lose little or no mental capability in old age unless there are other factors such as strokes, Alzheimer's disease, or other damage to the brain.
    Sometimesa it seems to me the same, Peter. However, I have always frightened that my memory will one day play with me and won`t remember certain important things/people for me.
    You must believe me that it sounds very stupid. What`s more, The Holy Scripture, in my opinion, shouldn`t be translated. We have here churches with celebrations in Latin.
    How one says something is often more important than what one says. The style, verbiage, sentence structure, etc, that one uses shows how the speaker thins and views the world. There were good reasons for only certain translations being accetped. I don't know Polish slang, but slang generally isn't very good at expressing much.
    Language is a very good way of manipulation. About 3 years ago, in Poland a group of young people created a translation of Bible to a slang. I was shocked when I read that the answer of the Church was that they weren`t interested in it. In my opinion, this translation wasn`t apropriate and they should do something with the publication.
    Yes, it is easy to pick and choose when one has a more than million words to choose from. And yes the editing of translations has made huge changes. There are some Christians who don't realize tha Judaism was polytheistic until the time of David or later. These days they are translaing "elohom" (gods) as God.

The Roman Church banned the marriage of priests less than 1000 years ago.
    Peter, it is known that not all scripture has been chosen as a canon. Very often translation changes the meaning. It is very easy in this way to manipulate people. For example, there is no word that women cannot be priest as far as I know.
    Naive? In what way? And what has "been utterly defeated and is evaporating?" Religion is making more money now than ever before, and it isn't just because the money is worth less, and there are still people around who are sure that there is a vast international comspiracy that they like to call the Illuminati; this "group" should be considered different from the Illuminati of Bavaria of the 18th century.

Do you believe that the Book of Revelations is literally accurate?
    Peterl, I think you have a very naive and ancient perspective on something that has long been utterly defeated and is evaporating. They are finished.
    But it has a lot in common with what is described by some comspiracy theories.
    I know that, for example The Church, doesn`t have much in common with Christianity. That is why I don`t practice any religion (ritauls).