Blog Comments

O.K., Myth 4 might be true under other circumstances also, but they would all be uncomfortable or hazardous, and drinking too much water can also lead to weight gian, if one's kidneys aren't in good shape.

Marketing people have jobs, so there must be lots of people who don't use common sense.

And my health is remarkably good for someone who had a condition that kills 90% of those who get it, and I seldom drink water. I would rather be like a certain racehorse.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdQB-mR4tg

I hope that you are enjoying your Summer. Or do they even have Summer up there?
    In Myth #4, drinking water leading to weight loss -- this COULD be true, if the person consumes a couple of glasses of water prior to a meal, which disables them from eating too much.... maybe? If I were obese and truly wanted to lose weight, I might buy into this...

Yes, a few brew really do quench the thirst. Can't argue with you there.

Yes, drinking these astronomical amounts of water daily, as directed by none other than the water bottlers themselves... hmmmm use common sense!! Ya gotta wonder....

There are times when only an ice cold bottle of water will quench my thirst. And other times where a tall glass of white wine will suffice.

Interesting blog entry; and hope that your health is going well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    Don't forget the Cigarette Ads of yesteryear... that rang a slogan that '9 out of 10 doctors surveyed recommended this particular brand'... lol

What an interesting blog entry. Enjoyed it immensely, Peter.
    Yes, those old cigarette ads were great: "Not a cough in a carload", More doctors smoke Camels", and so on. I think their statistics were inspirations to the people selling ACC.
    This is the more doctors commercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI
    various 1950's ads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8sT6ZA6gqY
    Don't forget the Cigarette Ads of yesteryear... that rang a slogan that '9 out of 10 doctors surveyed recommended this particular brand'... lol

What an interesting blog entry. Enjoyed it immensely, Peter.
    Thank you. I am glad that someone agrees. Now I just hope that they will pay my bill.
    Well said.
    LoL, indeed!

In my humble opinion, there are WAY too many artificial scents to deal with in today's society. One's body-wash. One's deodorant. One's shampoo... yada yada yada...

There is something enticing about a "real" scent... all this other fake crap just makes me sneeze...

When I was a teen, this young man I dated used Dial soap. His mom washed the clothes in a lemon detergent, hung on the line, then ironed. This fellah was soooooo irresistible to me... yeah the natural scents, je suppose..... Sadly, he went one way, and I another... in the University days....

But yeah, SCENT has a lot to do with physical attraction.

Great topic, as always, Peter.
    Updated 06-04-2018 at 04:27 PM by PeterL (omission from what got posted.)
    You know, my IPad is supposed to have some artificial scents. But it seems pretty dumb to me.
    Be careful of artificial scents. You can't use them in Coke machines.
    LoL, indeed!

In my humble opinion, there are WAY too many artificial scents to deal with in today's society. One's body-wash. One's deodorant. One's shampoo... yada yada yada...

There is something enticing about a "real" scent... all this other fake crap just makes me sneeze...

When I was a teen, this young man I dated used Dial soap. His mom washed the clothes in a lemon detergent, hung on the line, then ironed. This fellah was soooooo irresistible to me... yeah the natural scents, je suppose..... Sadly, he went one way, and I another... in the University days....

But yeah, SCENT has a lot to do with physical attraction.

Great topic, as always, Peter.
    Be careful of artificial scents. You can't use them in Coke machines.
    Alas, Bob Denard has been reincarnated by now; he died about ten years ago, but Mad Mike is still alive at 99 years of age. Both were quite effective in Africa, especially when they had adequate backing. Denard was the informal French military presence in many places, and he took over the Comoros twice and lived there as the semi-official something for years. Mike had a horrible piece of luck in the Seychelles. It's enough to make me laugh.

But I was thinking of the British model of development, make them learn and believe in the legal system, and the natives could run their own countries.

None of the sub-Saharan African armies can do much, but I think that some are capable of being trained. Remember that Magabee's army defeated the Rhodesian military, and the Angolan civil war was quite something.
    Dear Peter

Regards the various African remedial scenarios:

1. As noted; the likes of Bob Denard, or even Mad Major Mike Hoare were effective. Getting a bit long in the tooth now though, and a bit disreputable after the attempted Comoros coup.

2. The Nigerian Army could not even sort out their own country, but would swagger about a bit if paid & fed large quantities of pounded yam, garri & eguisi.

3. Why not return to British rule? Conquer, teach them how to play cricket & let them join the Commonwealth? It worked before.

4. An interesting aside is that in the former French colonies, the insidious Frenchies actually never left, but keep units of the French army there to support the approved indigenous incumbent, as long as French commercial interests are favoured.

Regards
    M.
    Such a very very sad situation there indeed.....

And yet at one time, probably 20 years ago, Canada was friendly traders with the Venezuelans.... What the heck has happened there!!!
    Some stupid took up the running of the country. This is the kind of place I was referring to. I was thinking about some smaller jobs first, but we could knock out the government of Venezuela with all that many casualties, and it probably would only take a few months. After that we could open the schools for governance and business and have a functioning country within a couple of years. Maybe Central America then Venezuela, then Cuba, and then we could do Syria.
    Interesting post, Peter.
    One of my best friends is a resident of Venezuela, a place where for the last 18 months+ has experienced an Exodus. He is fixed on the idea that things can get better... one can only hope. Common items, like toothpaste, shampoo, soap are sold at HUGE markups (if indeed available), and failing that, even bigger markups on the black market. Imagine having to purchase a tube of toothpaste at black market prices...

Such a very very sad situation there indeed.....

And yet at one time, probably 20 years ago, Canada was friendly traders with the Venezuelans.... What the heck has happened there!!!
    I didn't take sleeping pills, but they may be necessary for deep sleep in a hospital. But havinga patient knocked out with drugs would be inconvenient, because such patients couldn't roll over to make it more convenient for the nurse to take blood, or do whatever.

Since then I have usually gotten adequate sleep.
    Wow, what an ordeal you had...
    And they make jokes about "Wake up, sir, it is time for your sleeping pill" -- getting rest in a hospital sounds like an impossibility!
    Glad that you are home now, and you can catch up on that badly needed rest.
    Yes. being able to sleep anywhere is a very useful skill, and I learned that decades ago, but didn't include learning how to tolerate loud television at 4 AM or an equipment alarm going off, because I tried to roll over or being stuck in the arm for a blood sample.

I usually fall asleep when hurricanes are going through, because they had pressures as low as 28 inches. Being to able to lower atmospheric pressure would be useful, because it tends to lower blood pressure, which leads to sleep. I don't remember what airliner cabins are pressurize to, but it is lower than normal low altitude pressure.
    Updated 05-17-2018 at 02:28 PM by PeterL
    Dear Peter

If I might be simplistic, one is either a day person, or a night person.

I am the former, my wife the latter.

10 pm and I'm finished, but have no problem getting up at 3 am.

In my earlier years I was obliged at one stage to become a security guard, patrolling a brewery near Heathrow Airport. 12 hour shifts / 3 days day shift / 1 day off / 3 days night shift.

The night shift nearly killed me. I was like a zombie, fell into bed, fell out of bed. Eating and a social life was secondary.

The only long term benefit was it taught me how to sleep anywhere, being so tired. I could sleep in a chair, on the table, on a piece of cardboard on a concrete floor.

Thus later in life when my circumstances had vastly improved I was called upon to undertake long plane journeys ( 12-15 hours). Some of my colleagues complained of not being able to sleep on a flight. Me, no problem, remembering my earlier conditioning.

Mind you, after a couple of glasses of champaigne, a good meal, accompanied by red wine and finished off with a good French brandy "vieux et superiour" anyone could sleep 8 hours at 40,000 feet!!
    And I just found this article, which may explain why I still want my sleep back.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44113414
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast