View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Democracy, Is It Dead?

by , 11-17-2017 at 04:00 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is a letter that I sent to one of the local papers. I wonder if they will print it. The issue is whether the town charter will be amended to eliminate the town meeting and replace it with a thirteen member council. The vote won't come until Spring, so I am saving some of the best for later.

When the zeitgeist changes, everything can be different. I was hoping that the election of Trump was an isolated event, but in the Town of Amherst, Massachusetts a Charter Commission ...

Updated 11-17-2017 at 05:26 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Art of the Steal

by , 10-21-2017 at 03:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Donald Trump has made a lot of his skill in negotiation and making deals. He hasn't been crowing about that recently, but there still are implicit claims. Those claims don't stand up to scrutiny, and he seems to have been more skilled at stealing than in dealing.

A large amount of his money he gained through bankruptcy court, rather than through doing business. There are questions as to how many bankruptcies he has had. He admits to four, but there have been at least six, and if one ...

Updated 10-21-2017 at 08:32 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Openness in Government

by , 08-07-2017 at 05:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Republics belong to the people governed, and as would be the case in a business co-op where all of the employees own the business, in a republic all of the citizens own the government, and they should be able to know what is going on. Republic isn't the most effective or efficient form of government, but it is what we have here in the U.S.A. And the citizens should have all of the information necessary for running it. The only reason why the citizens don't have all of the information now is that ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fighting Big Lies

by , 05-28-2017 at 03:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

“I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true." The Bellman in “The Hunting of the Snark” https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Hunting_of_the_Snark ...
  5. History Is on Our Side

by , 03-30-2017 at 09:15 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Among the more significant topics of in this blog have been Classical Liberalism and the Enlightenment. Those aren't common topics of conversation, but they are behind many conversations that people have, because they can openly converse about many topics, because the Enlightenment happened; the forces of religion were fought back into their caged minds, and we, Classical Liberals, asserted the rights of all to free speech and the other freedoms. Classical Liberalism established the freedoms that ...

Updated 03-31-2017 at 06:26 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast