View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Persistence of Lies

by , 07-05-2017 at 02:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes.

So who really did say it? Benham's Book of Quotations credits the line to Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892), a celebrated English fundamentalist Baptist preacher and the author of "John Ploughman's Talk; or, Plain Advice for Plain People." His exact words were: "A lie travels round the world, while Truth is putting on her boots."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/02/we...the-twain.html ...

Updated 07-07-2017 at 08:34 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fighting Big Lies

by , 05-28-2017 at 03:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

“I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true." The Bellman in “The Hunting of the Snark” https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Hunting_of_the_Snark ...
  3. Why Do They Believe?

by , 04-25-2017 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again I was thinking about propaganda and why people believe it, so I did a little searching to see what others might think of the matter. It appears that a major problem is that it is difficult to tell the difference between real news and fake news. Both real and fake news assert things and provide alleged witnesses and sometimes expert opinions. I suspect that another component is whether the news fits what the reader wants to find out.

In political news the desires of the ...

Updated 04-29-2017 at 07:13 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Swallowing Lies

by , 08-27-2015 at 04:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is frightening how gullible most people are. That subject has come up a few times today, so I will honor it with a blog post. Apparently there were aliens on the Moon to greet Neil Armstrong, and there is an ancient alien base on the Moon. There are many websites that have detailed information about human and alien activities on the Moon and on Mars. Some of the information is perfectly serious; some might be legitimate data about those places, and some was clearly put together for humor. ...
    Tags: aliens, lies, mars, moon
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Nanny Government Versus Autonomy

by , 02-07-2015 at 05:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently there has been a kerfuffle about parents not having their children vaccinated against measles. This arose from a small outbreak of measles among people who had visited Disneyland. Apparently someone came to the U.S. with measles, and several children who had not been vaccinated were exposed. There are a number of reasons why some parents prefer that their children not be vaccinated, and some of the reasons are very flaky, while a few of the reasons are reasonable. One of the flakier reasons ...

Updated 02-07-2015 at 05:36 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast