View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Or What?

by , 10-06-2019 at 04:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I frequently wonder about those silly Earthlings. Most of them Have serious problems with science, math, mathematics, and logic. How did they manage to develop anything even vaguely like civilization? But I haven't been able to figure out why they have such problems. But I haven't been able to figure out why. Is it herd mentality (which would be an inborn tendency) that makes them believe without question anyone who is said to be an authority, or what, but most humans seem to have a need to agree ...
  2. Did Boomers Cause Present Situation

by , 09-11-2019 at 12:40 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It doesn’t do much good to blame persons or groups for social changes, and that is certainly true in the present political climate. There are plenty of reasons why the political and economic landscapes became what they are now, and it partly happened during a period when boomers dominated to political and economic worlds, but it started and most of the damage was done earlier, and some of the present situation is just negative aspects of good things. Even the neo-NAZI aspects of Trump’s political ...
  3. Be Skeptical

by , 07-28-2019 at 03:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just read an article about “The Psychology of Conspiracy Theories” (Karen M. Douglas, Robbie M. Sutton, and Aleksandra Cichocka), and I had been thinking about blogging on the philosophy and logic of conspiracy theories. The only place where I agree with this article is on this point” Our analysis suggests that conspiracy theories may satisfy some epistemic motives at the expense of others—for example, by shielding beliefs from uncertainty while being less likely to be accurate. The epistemic ...
  4. The Joy of False Premises

by , 02-05-2019 at 05:30 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A couple of days ago I was involved in an excellent example of the problem with false premises. If one selects the premises of an argument properly, then one can prove any argument using pseudo-logical methods. That is why using false premises is a logical fallacy.

I was just trying to provide some interesting small talk and mentioned how I had again found a phishing site that was using one of my books as bait for people to leave their credit card information. I recounted informing ...
  5. Spotting the Lies

by , 10-26-2018 at 01:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was working on a work of fiction, when I realized that what I had one character complain about was a major problem in today's world. The character was talking about setting up a school that would teach the basics of Rhetoric and Logic, so that the graduates would later be able to make better arguments and to detect fallacious arguments. The problem is that most people never learn the basics of argumentation and logic, so they can't tell when someone is using a logical fallacy, and much of the ...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast