View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Realities of Quantum Theory: Free Will and Time Travel

by , 07-16-2013 at 04:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Possible impacts of physical proof that there are Many Worlds on the argument whether humans have free will and on time travel.

It has been known for a very long time that all events are governed by causality, the endless chain of cause and effect. This endless chain is widely regarded as determining everything, eliminating the possibility of free will in human activities. How can we truly have free will if everything is caused by causes that can’t even been seen because they occurred ...

Updated 08-02-2013 at 09:59 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. On Building Time Machines, Part 3, and Conclusion

by , 07-11-2013 at 08:15 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Another method of time travel that is certain and reliable is travelling through black holes. O.K., I don’t mean through the singularity but through the region encompassed by the event horizon. This isn’t something that you can do with a quantum black hole or with a small airplane (although that might make a funny movie). This method requires a large black hole, and the region within the event horizon would have to be a fair percent of a light year across, but the mass would not make any real difference, ...

Updated 07-11-2013 at 06:52 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. On Building Time Machines, Part 2

by , 07-06-2013 at 03:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Personally, I lean toward the mystical view, that the universe that we see is a projection on the more fundamental parts of the universe. This concurs with views of some physicists as well. This can also be an explanation for “dark matter’. There could be a great deal of matter that is outside of our space-time but within range of gravity. Similarly, the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics would also fit into this, and that would be another way to hide mass out of sight of our space-time. ...
  4. Time Machine Test Ride

by , 07-01-2013 at 04:21 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I dropped into a time warp for the weekend. It was effective and relatively easy, but most importantly, it worked. The program that I was in at university had a reunion, and it was much like a weekend there would have been back in the late Fourteenth Century. As it happened, the transition was more effective with some people than with others.

During the seven year period when the program existed, the average apparent age of participants was about twenty, plus or minus five. The ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12