View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Using poor Logic

by , 09-19-2020 at 05:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have decried logical fallacies more times than I should have, but I still see people trying to win arguments with fallacies. I didn't learn logic in elementary school, only grammar, which is the logical structure of language, but I got the basics in high school, and I got even more in college, but I made the mistake of not taking a course in logic; I took Ethics instead, and it was amusing.

This isn't my favorite topic, but it can be useful, and today I shot down comments by an ...
  2. September Surprise

by , 02-07-2020 at 07:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have refrained from using my perspective from the 28th century to report events to this period, but this was so monumental that I felt compelled to share the information. Don't worry too much, because Trump was just a minor blip in history who was mostly forgotten within a decade.

It was early September, and the country was getting used to the idea that Trump probably would be president for another term. We were even getting used to having a president who knew as much about the ...

Updated 02-09-2020 at 07:19 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Rule of Law

by , 12-29-2019 at 04:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    If you want a world of savagery where the law of the jungle is paramount, then is for you, but if you have an interest in living in a civil society with complicated interactions with other humans, then more laws are required.

There are some people who doubt the validity of Hobbes' Theory of Social Contract. They think that they want no government at all. There are places in the world where there is no effective government, no government other than criminal gangs; those are dangerous ...
  4. High Crimes

by , 12-05-2019 at 04:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It has come to my attention that some people do not believe that Donald J. Trump has done anything for which he should be impeached, convicted, and thrown out of office. Maybe those people are confused by the phrase used in the Constitution for reasons for impeachment and conviction: “high crimes and misdemeanors”. That isn’t how it would be put these days, but high crimes means felonies or major crimes, but the term misdemeanor has not significantly changed over the years, and it still means lesser ...
  5. 2020 or 1860

by , 11-05-2019 at 08:13 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It’s too early to predict a winner in the 2020 presidential election with much confidence, but a few things have happened recently that provide some reasonable ideas. In early October, the Dems had another debate, and the alleged pundits think that Elizabeth Warren came off the winner, and Biden was in second, but Lizzie has since then come out with her 70 trillion dollar medical insurance plan, and Biden continues to plug along. I get the impression that Sanders is seen as falling, and the munchkins ...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast