View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Why Do They Believe?

by , 04-25-2017 at 05:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again I was thinking about propaganda and why people believe it, so I did a little searching to see what others might think of the matter. It appears that a major problem is that it is difficult to tell the difference between real news and fake news. Both real and fake news assert things and provide alleged witnesses and sometimes expert opinions. I suspect that another component is whether the news fits what the reader wants to find out.

In political news the desires of the ...

Updated 04-29-2017 at 07:13 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Propaganda

by , 11-05-2016 at 04:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Full Definition of propaganda

1 capitalized: a congregation of the Roman curia

2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also: a public action having such an effect
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/propaganda

3. Conspiracies Everywhere

by , 01-04-2016 at 08:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have wondered about conspiracy theories for quite a while. Why do people believe them at all, and why do they believe what they believe. Today a believer sat down near me at Starbucks and started running off at the mouth. It is usually a mistake to try to silence such a person, so I listened in the hope that I might learn something. That particular person seems to believe that Jews are the root of all evil (he is one himself, so he should know), and there are persons controlling or overseeing ...
  4. Propaganda of the Climate Change Movement

by , 06-22-2015 at 04:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This isnít the first time, and it may not be the last time, but I am sick of the propaganda that is spewed out by climate change alarmists. I decided to look around for material that would turn my rant into something that would have wider appeal, and the article from bibliotecapleyades.net is one such item. The article describes how the various techniques of poor logic have been used to frighten some people into believing the anthropogenic climate change story. There are plenty of examples of red-herrings, ...
  5. Marketing Hype

by , 03-02-2015 at 07:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is amazing how gullible humans are. This morning I noticed a guy rolling cigarettes with filters, and I almost laughed. That guy can almost be forgiven, because he was only about thirty years old, but filter cigarettes weren't popular until the 1950's, when they were hyped as safer. While most of the filters do remove some tars, they don't remove enough to actually make cigarettes safer, and there were some filters that were made of asbestos, which causes asbestosis and cancer. The marketing ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast