View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. In Search of Ignorance

by , 09-16-2015 at 02:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This is my reply to a column in the Massachusetts Daily Collegian that I read while having lunch near the University of Massachusetts. http://dailycollegian.com/2015/09/15...ime-and-money/

Mr Pappas, I found your column "Get rid of gen-ed courses that cost time and money" interesting in several ways, and I might be able to assist you in a small way. You are completely right that Gen-Ed requirements don't lead toward your faster completion of a degree program in business, ...

Updated 09-17-2015 at 04:38 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. On Ignorance

by , 09-11-2015 at 09:55 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In these modern times ignorance has been winning against knowledge and science. Stupidity is more admired than intelligence. Fallacy is more common than logic. Maybe I’m just getting crotchety in my middle age, but I find it absurd that ignorant people hold their ignorance with pride and expect other people to treat their misunderstandings about the world and what is in it as if they were actual facts.

I started thinking about this in regard to an interview that Trump had with Hugh ...
  3. Detecting Propaganda for Fun and Profit

by , 04-29-2014 at 04:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    On another forum to which I belong there recently was a question about propaganda. A request was made for information about how to write propaganda. After some initial comments about advertising and ordinary public relations writing. People started suggesting real world examples, such as the jingoism and appeals to greatness that Hitler and others have used. And it was pointed out the heavy-handed propaganda that some have used isn’t as effective as the subtle propaganda that has become popular ...
  4. Religious Thinking

by , 03-16-2014 at 12:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Or believing versus knowing

It has come to our attention that religious thinking has been spreading to other matters. By religious thinking I mean opinions that are believed or claimed as fact, without question and with nothing more substantial that a nudist’s pants to support them. Such unsupported ideas have appeared in politics, diet, clothing, and just about everything else, even in the hard sciences. It might be easier to say that it appears that more people are taking their ...

Updated 03-17-2014 at 01:24 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12