View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. U. S. Politics After the End

by , 05-08-2013 at 08:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The shape of government will change everywhere after the Great Pandemic will decrease population by 80%, and the politics involved with the governments will also change. Teasing apart the results of the changes is difficult, and it is likely that new elements will arise, but the general political culture of most countries would be unchanged, and that means that there will be cut-throat politics in the U.S. Just as one can read the political satires of Jonathan Swift from the early 18th centuries ...
  2. Economics After the End

by , 05-02-2013 at 02:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    When the Great Pandemic will eliminate 80% of the population the demand for goods and services will be reduced at the same rateand that will have a proportional effect on the economy. The drop in demand will result in an immediate drop in prices of everything that is bought and sold. Prices of food and other perishable goods will drop greatly, but the prices will rebound, because supplies will need to be replenished regularly, but durable goods do not need frequent replacement. Production machinery ...

Updated 05-08-2013 at 11:52 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Government After the End

by , 04-27-2013 at 02:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Governments have several legitimate functions these days: to try to regulate activities, to provide services that are not profitable but are still essential, and to fill the pockets of the higher-ups; in addition, governments try to tell every Harry, Sue, John, and Jane how he or she should live his life in all details. After the population drops to 20% of its present level there won’t be enough people available for government service, so government will not be able intrude into the lives of people ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Demographics After the End

by , 04-24-2013 at 11:17 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Since we have already determined that there are two potential events that would cause mass destruction that have probabilities that are high enough to think about: an asteroid hit and a deadly pandemic.

There are too many variables to make more than very general comments about changes in population that would result from an asteroid strike, because the strike could hit anywhere on Earth and the results would be determined by the location and the size of the asteroid. The loss in ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. After the End

by , 04-19-2013 at 07:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Maybe I have completely lost my mind, or maybe I have heard too much of millennialist thinking, or it might be from reading too much post-apocalyptic fiction, but I am fairly confident that the human race will undergo substantial change in the reasonably near future. I have already written a novel about the Really Great Plague in which about 80% of humans died from Pneumonic Plague; alas, it was not taken up by a publisher (with good reason), and I have not yet rewritten it. The conspiracy theory ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized