View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Ethics of Longevity

by , 08-17-2013 at 10:37 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    As a general matter, anything that leads to longer life and/or better health is ethically good, but the steps that will lead to especially long lifespans may have some ethical problems for some people.

It has been suggested to me that the matter of transplants has ethical pitfalls, but transplants are a stopgap measure. The long-term solutions all involve using an individual’s own DNA and culturing new parts with the same DNA, but there are people for whom that is not an option, because ...

Updated 08-17-2013 at 02:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. How Long Will You Live?

by , 08-14-2013 at 12:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t often think about it anymore, but lifespan is one of my many interests. A few months ago I wrote a blog about how people perceive time, and that is only one aspect of the matter. I have noticed that people seem to have a good idea of how long they will live. I have known some people who pretty much predicted their own deaths. I am also interested in the research that is being done in longevity, and I posted a link to the Wikipedia article on Aubrey de Grey, a British longevity researcher ...

Updated 08-14-2013 at 05:42 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. World Level

by , 08-02-2013 at 02:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    J. R. R. Tolkien wrote about “secondary worlds,” imaginary worlds created by writers that are internally consistent. But there are other derivative worlds: those of the Many Worlds that split off from the original “primary world”, as decision points came into existence. These are the Many Worlds referenced in the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Theory (or THE THEORY OF THE UNIVERSAL WAVEFUNCTION, as Mr Hugh Everett, III titled his paper). There may be infinity of such worlds, but Occam’s razor ...

Updated 08-03-2013 at 11:09 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Tragedy of Ale

by , 07-26-2013 at 09:39 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was planning to write a post on the low quality of American ale, including the output of specialty brewers. To get a little more background I did an online search, and the results all started with “Beer”. This fact is very strong evidence that I have slipped into a different space-time, thus showing more evidence for Everett’s Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Theory.

In the world that I came from beer was a fermented malt beverage that was flavored with hops and used a bottom ...

Updated 07-26-2013 at 04:20 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Realities of Quantum Theory: Free Will and Time Travel

by , 07-16-2013 at 04:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Possible impacts of physical proof that there are Many Worlds on the argument whether humans have free will and on time travel.

It has been known for a very long time that all events are governed by causality, the endless chain of cause and effect. This endless chain is widely regarded as determining everything, eliminating the possibility of free will in human activities. How can we truly have free will if everything is caused by causes that can’t even been seen because they occurred ...

Updated 08-02-2013 at 09:59 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized