View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. TAEL: A Methodology for the Exploration of Replication

by , 09-30-2013 at 09:37 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Abstract
    The implications of stochastic modalities have been far-reaching and pervasive. Our purpose here is to set the record straight. In our research, we show the visualization of IPv6. We motivate an analysis of 802.11 mesh networks, which we call TAEL.
    Table of Contents
    1) Introduction
    2) Related Work

2.1) I/O Automata
    2.2) Homogeneous Archetypes
    2.3) Context-Free Grammar

3) Real-Time Technology ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Upsetting the Medical Industry Applecart

by , 09-28-2013 at 03:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I wasted some time Friday taking part in a group that a hospital was using to gather comments about their planned opening of a new branch, and to get suggestions on how they might improve services. It started with a lengthy presentation that seemed to be designed to focus thinking on a few narrow issues related to people getting medical treatments. That was after an introduction that clearly stated that they wanted to hear anything. It seemed perfectly insincere; they wanted to hear anything, but ...

Updated 09-28-2013 at 07:37 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Preparing for Contingencies, Part 1

by , 09-25-2013 at 08:50 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The Earth is a wonderful place. It is the home of our species, and it is pleasant in innumerable ways, but we all know that the Earth is not formed in a way that maximizes utility, beauty, or anything. The nearly spherical shape and the axial tilt cause seasonal variations are annoying or worse. There are advantages in having changes in seasons, but we could manage it without having such great differences in the length of day and night. There may be people who think that I have this opinion because ...

Updated 09-25-2013 at 05:00 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Parallels In Meanings

by , 09-18-2013 at 11:59 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I thought that I had already written a neat little piece on metaphor, but I can’t find it. Maybe I didn’t actually write it but only thought about writing it, or maybe I don’t have a copy of it. That was back in the days when I was reading everything by Umberto Eco (He has written more since then, so I will have to read some more.) Eco has a section in The Role of the Reader about metaphor, and I will have to reread that, or skim it at least. He wrote of circuitous paths from item A to the meaning ...
  5. Parallel Development

by , 09-13-2013 at 02:40 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It's one thing to assert that the waking consciousness is just a user interface; it would be more interesting to give instructions for observing the actual operating system in action. The Gods could certainly do that, but I don't think that it would be easy for a human to know the operations of another's mind that well; although fMRA allows people to see what a brain is doing in reaction to certain stimuli, etc. Those brain researchers have also made arms move and so on, so perhaps they will eventually ...

Updated 09-14-2013 at 02:04 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized