View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Better Holiday

by , 09-05-2022 at 05:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Today is Labor Day, and I think that holidays are mostly a waste of time. I think that workers would be better off if they got another week or two of vacation time is stead of holidays.
    Another problem with holidays is that they are dedicated to something, and not everyone likes that something or wants to honor it. Some holidays are dedicated to religious holidays, and here in the U.S.A. things that tend toward the establishment of religion are forbidden in the Constitution. That would throw ...
  2. About Holidays

by , 12-05-2017 at 08:11 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For many people holidays are days off with pay, but to people who don’t work in a place that gives paid holidays they are a pain, and the owners and managers of the businesses that gives paid holidays is one who thinks they are a pain. They are also pains to many people who get paid holidays, but that varies with the individual and the holiday.

To start with, just look at the holidays, and to keep it simple, I’ll just consider the days that the feds give off. New Year’s Day is the ...
  3. Holidays

by , 10-12-2013 at 03:43 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I suppose that there are reasons for holidays existing, but they can’t be very good reasons, because holidays mostly just get in the way, and yesterday I heard someone ask why Columbus Day was a holiday. If that’s the kind of respect that Columbus gets these days, then he probably would agree that there should not be a holiday for him, even though that’s one of better reasons for a holiday.

If we go back to the beginning, I don’t think that anyone has determined whether demand for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized