View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. The Ideal of Government

by , 08-11-2018 at 02:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Thomas Hobbes was right. On a fundamental level government is an agreement among the governed to cede some of their personal rights and autonomy in exchange for government providing a framework within which the people governed can more readily and safely carry of heir lives than they could without government. The government provides rules and basic services, such as roads and such, and the people governed pay for the services with a small and equitable service fee called taxes.

In ...
  2. Body Density Index

by , 08-07-2018 at 03:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    After my recent medical situation I noticed that my waist was smaller; I had to put more holes into my belt, and my pants are quite loose when the belt isn't buckled, so I checked my weight. My weight was almost unchanged from what it was when I was in the hospital. And my body mass index is almost 32, which is in the obese range. The funny thing is that I'm not actually fat, but I am quite muscular. The sad thing is that many people take body mass index seriously, even though it doesn't take into ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Chemical Influence

by , 07-31-2018 at 08:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “The short-term physiological effects of cocaine include constricted blood vessels, dilated pupils, and increased temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure. Large amounts (several hundred milligrams or more) intensify the user's high but may also lead to bizarre, erratic, and violent behavior. These users may experience tremors, vertigo, muscle twitches, paranoia, or, with repeated doses, a toxic reaction closely resembling amphetamine poisoning. Some users of cocaine report feelings of restlessness, ...
  4. Upper Limit

by , 07-19-2018 at 07:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    What is the upper limit of the human lifespan? I recently saw an article that concluded that there is no upper limit to the human lifespan, and I recalled that there had been something about the upper limit being about 300, because murder or accident will get you, if your body holds up that long. I’ll look at the actuarial calculations for that, if I can find them. There are incurable diseases, but eventually cures will also be conquered, and the only real medically related problem will be getting ...
  5. Better Hydration

by , 07-13-2018 at 03:15 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes." W. C. Fields
    https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/w_c_fields_151502

I had a conversation with a medical person, who told me that I should hydrate after a CT scan. I said that I would have a few beers. The poor, ignorant person was horrified, so I explained that beer is excellent for hydration, but she had bought into the hydration myth so she was dubious.
    https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-...ter-than-water ...
Page 1 of 79 1234561151 ... LastLast