View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Propaganda Techniques

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This started as just being about exaggeration, but it became more general. Enjoy

Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that ...

Updated 01-11-2018 at 09:23 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Exaggeration and Other Techniques of Propaganda

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that way. It has been a fact for decades that "controversy sells papers". So they tried ...
  3. Narragansett

by , 01-02-2018 at 10:39 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few decades ago, I drank Ballantine Ale pretty much every day for several years. I can imagine better tasting ales, but Ballantine was something that I could drink every day. Alas, Narragansett Brewing that produced it went down the tubes. One of the former owners bought the name and recipes, when they became available, and he has been building the company back up.

I hope that Ballantine Ale will be revived in a few years. So far they have only restored about a half dozen brands, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Time and Money

by , 12-20-2017 at 09:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I recently commented using the old saw "Time is Money", and the person I was speaking to disagreed. While the two are not identical, they have equivalency; one can be converted to the other as a general matter.

"The phrase was coined by Benjamin Franklin in his Advice to a Young Tradesman (1748): Remember that time is money. He that idly loses five shillings' worth of time loses five shillings, and might as prudently throw five shillings into the sea." https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-et...-Time-is-Money ...
  5. Women's clothing an 'invitation' to harassment

by , 12-16-2017 at 05:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    'I saw a member yesterday with her cleavage so deep it was down to the floor,' Rep. Marcy Kaptur tells fellow Democrats at a private meeting
    https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...assment-294974

This is true, and it isn't just women.

It was good to see a woman commenting that women’s clothing may seem inviting to some men. Humans, like all animals, constantly send out messages about their sexual status and interest. The ...
Page 1 of 75 1234561151 ... LastLast