View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. How Much" Eliminating Inflation

by , 10-29-2021 at 10:11 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't often think about inflation, but it is present whenever I buy anything, and it is not as benign as some would have us think. There are many measures of inflation, but I like to use a few things to show the change in proportion. You may not remember it, but in 1820 an ounce of gold was worth $20. That same ounce of gold would have sold for $35 in the 1960'a. But that isn't comparable, because the market for gold was highly regulated.

Another comparison is in the cost of labor ...
  2. Parliamentary Tactics

by , 06-02-2021 at 09:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Over the years, the rules of the Houses of Congress have changed for various reasons, but mostly because the rules for a group of twenty and some odd people must be different from the rules of a group of fifty or a hundred or three hundred and some odd.
    The first rules of the House limited speeches, but not much, and the original Senate rules allowed Senators to speak as long as they wanted. Those rules were adequate, because most Senators were aware that “brevity is the soul of wit.” And ...

Updated 06-03-2021 at 07:08 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Economic War

by , 03-02-2018 at 08:39 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Not all wars are examples of diplomacy failing. The economic war that Trump has set up is a personal affair, that he didn’t negotiated with anyone; although at Davos he commented that a weak dollar would help U.S. trade. And it will; it will make U.S. goods less expensive than similar goods from other countries. That should help U.S. manufacturers to some degree. But a weak dollar will make the U.S. less desirable as a place to invest, because it will lower the values of capital assets, especially ...
  4. Defense of Democratic Governmental Institutions

by , 03-22-2016 at 08:55 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I realize that this is a minority view now. The U.S.A. is preparing to elect a president, who is of Benito Mussolini’s political stance, and the sitting president has already tried ruling by edict, and this is not a just a recent trend. U.S. presidents have been ignoring the limits on their office for decades, some more and some a little less. The Bushes both played fast and loose with the U.S. Constitution; W referred to it as a piece of paper in an attempt to show his respect for it. Clinton was ...

Updated 03-22-2016 at 09:23 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized