View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Missing the Reality

by , 09-01-2016 at 06:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have started to think that humans are opposed to rational thought. Simply starting for a reasonable premise (a premise based in reality) and accurate evidence, and then making logical deductions based on those leads to something reasonable. It was an excellent way to figure things out, but reasoning seems to have been abandoned by many people, perhaps even most people. People often start from bits of fiction and fantasize from that. It’s one thing to kid around, but I have heard or seen too many ...
  2. Restoring the Age of Reason

by , 09-27-2014 at 08:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Until recently I took the ideals and principles of the Enlightenment for granted: classical liberalism, individual liberty, republican government, Freedom of speech, and all those other wonderful things that are part of being a citizen of a country with a government that is fundamentally liberal in the classical sense. There have been little attempts to require regimented thought in my life and before; things like you can’t call a spade a spade and silly matters of political correctness. But even ...

Updated 10-01-2014 at 01:06 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Why Does Religion Get a Free Pass?

by , 03-25-2014 at 03:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Religious discrimination

Here in the U.S.A. we are guaranteed the right to practice the religion of our choice, which is interesting, and we are further guaranteed that there will be no establishment of religion, but this part has been completely ignored. Organized religion has been established as official and even granted tax exempt status. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” This was applied to ...
  4. On Building Time Machines, Part 2

by , 07-06-2013 at 03:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Personally, I lean toward the mystical view, that the universe that we see is a projection on the more fundamental parts of the universe. This concurs with views of some physicists as well. This can also be an explanation for “dark matter’. There could be a great deal of matter that is outside of our space-time but within range of gravity. Similarly, the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics would also fit into this, and that would be another way to hide mass out of sight of our space-time. ...
  5. Grammar, Ignorance, Logic, and the Illuminati

by , 03-24-2013 at 01:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Formal logic was developed from natural language and reasoning, but not all people understand language in the same way, and many people are careless in their use of natural language. For example, there are people who only use the present tense, even though there was a past, and there will be a future. And there are a few deficiencies in natural language. For example, there is nothing that directly shows whether something is intended as an opinion or as fact, and this can lead to significant problems. ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast