View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Smoking Cessation and Society

by , 05-14-2014 at 09:59 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    What has been the effect of the dramatic decrease in tobacco smoking in the last few decades? Smoking makes people happier. Has a decrease in smoking made people collectively less happy? Has the decrease in smoking done anything for anyone?

I don't recall having seen anything on this matter before, but let's take a little look at the aggregate, since looking at individuals will just tell us about a few individuals. I just search for online information about the campaign against smoking ...

Updated 05-14-2014 at 10:53 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Nicotine, Its Advantages

by , 12-08-2013 at 10:25 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I haven’t had a cigarette in years (I can’t remember exactly how many), but I haven’t quit, nor have I lost my bias toward freedom, so I still defend the right for people to live their own lives. Today I got a laugh when I saw an article in the Hampshire Gazette about towns trying to ban those electronic cigarettes now. If this new example of nanny government is being “justified” by health claims, then there is a major problem. But, as with so many things, the press only presents information that ...

Updated 12-11-2013 at 02:04 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Prohibitionism

by , 10-03-2013 at 03:07 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Again, I harken back to that time I wasted last Friday in a meeting regarding access to medical facilities, etc. Some of the many things mentioned in passing included smoking cessation and alcohol and drug addiction programs, which were briefly mentioned as things that the medical industry must address, as if there is anything necessarily wrong or unhealthy with the use of tobacco and various other addictive drugs. Each substance is different, but, as a general matter, they are not unhealthy, regardless ...

Updated 10-03-2013 at 03:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized