View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Person to Person Communication

by , 08-11-2020 at 08:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A number of years ago, an old friend told me about the book that he had just read. The premise of the novel was that humans do not actually use speech to communicate; speech is an attention getting signal only; the actual communication is direct , mind-to-mind. We were staying at a friend's house, and the next morning someone else who was staying there was looking at albums to play, and mentioned something by the Moody Blues. I was not wildly enthusiastic about the Moody Blues, but I like some of ...
  2. Eternal souls?

by , 05-30-2020 at 02:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Over the decades I have had various thoughts about the concept of the eternal soul. I like the idea, and I find it horrible that I might someday become nothing. On the other hand, the ideas of Heaven and Hell are downright silly. The ideas expressed in “Thanatopsis”. By William Cullen Bryant seem to be reasonable and logical. My personal preference was for the ancient Indo-European concept of reincarnation after 49 days in the Underworld.

The matter of reincarnation seemed very ...

Updated 05-31-2020 at 05:06 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Tragedy of Ale

by , 07-26-2013 at 09:39 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was planning to write a post on the low quality of American ale, including the output of specialty brewers. To get a little more background I did an online search, and the results all started with “Beer”. This fact is very strong evidence that I have slipped into a different space-time, thus showing more evidence for Everett’s Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Theory.

In the world that I came from beer was a fermented malt beverage that was flavored with hops and used a bottom ...

Updated 07-26-2013 at 04:20 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized