View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ocean Currents

by , 02-12-2024 at 04:14 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There were several articles in my news feed about the Atlantic Ocean currents collapsing. It will be a disaster when the ocean currents collapse, because that will mean that the Earth has stopped rotating. Apparently, some people are pushing the idea that ocean currents are caused by something other than the Coriolis effect acting on the oceans.

The ocean currents exist, because the water is not firmly attached to the solid Earth. At the Equator, the surface of the Earth is moving ...
  2. Disinformation

by , 05-19-2021 at 03:42 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have written about the persistence of ignorance before, and I wish I had adequate data to determine the cause. I don't think that actual scientists are very likely to hold onto information that has been shown to be false, because they research their subject before they go further into it. Unfortunately, there are some people who write articles on scientific matters who do not bother with researching.

Earlier today, I looked for articles about the “ozone hole”, because that has ...
  3. Propaganda Techniques

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This started as just being about exaggeration, but it became more general. Enjoy

Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that ...

Updated 01-11-2018 at 09:23 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Exaggeration and Other Techniques of Propaganda

by , 01-11-2018 at 09:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Part of the zeitgeist of these times is that the people producing news coverage exaggerate most of the time. It isn't enough for them that there is a snowstorm coming; not now it is "Bomb Cyclone". I don't know if it simply became part of the American psyche, or if it's just imitating Trump, but if there's a more shocking way to put something, then the people producing news coverage put it that way. It has been a fact for decades that "controversy sells papers". So they tried ...