View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Superabundance of Laws

by , 11-03-2014 at 10:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I sent a letter to several newspapers in regard to one of the referenda that will be on the Massachusetts. Perhaps it will make a difference, but there was what I regard as a problem with the question, because neither side of the question was good. Fundamentally, it is a matter of over-regulating and over-legislating. There are too many laws and regulations. I was initially just thinking about state laws, but the problem is much worse when one looks at federal laws and regulations. ...

Updated 11-03-2014 at 10:32 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Pricing Marijuana

by , 03-11-2014 at 03:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I’m not in Colorado or Washington or Uruguay or any other place where marijuana is legal, but I expect to be in not too long a time, because the legalization movement will be spreading. With that in mind, I looked at process in Colorado, and I was shocked. The prices look like they still have a risk premium in there, even though most of the risk has been removed by legalization. It’s not easy to estimate how large the risk premium is, but we should be able to make a reasonable estimate by comparing ...

Updated 03-11-2014 at 04:45 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Measuring Inflation

by , 12-01-2013 at 04:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    First income distribution, then wage inflation, and now measuring inflation.

Inflation: Noun Economics. a persistent, substantial rise in the general level of prices related to an increase in the volume of money and resulting in the loss of value of currency (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inflation?s=t‎) In my last post I showed examples of two types of inflation, wage inflation and Consumer Price inflation, but there are several other kinds of inflation, including the ...

Updated 12-01-2013 at 05:32 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Income Distribution in the United States of America

by , 11-17-2013 at 03:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A Brief Description with Causes and Curative Measures

To most people in the U.S. it is not news to learn that the top one percent of households make approximately twenty-two percent of the income, and the top twenty percent of households make more than fifty percent of the income. Many people don’t realize that the rather steep distribution is rather recent. In 1947 the top five percent of the people accounted for 17.5% of the income, and the top twenty percent 43%. And for comparison ...

Updated 11-18-2013 at 10:22 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Following the Trends

by , 09-08-2013 at 03:21 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I already explained that following trends until they end is usually a winning strategy for predicting the future. By looking at trends that already exist we can make predictions that might be accurate. Individual trends are simple, but putting them together is more interesting.
    In high technology the trend for the next century will be toward Quantum computing and time travel and trans-dimensional travel.

In government the present trend is toward centralization of power. This ...