View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Using False Premises

by , Yesterday at 03:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I started writing about false premises as a logical fallacy, when I realized that false premises have frequently been used as the basis for an ideology. By selecting a suitable premise one can "prove" pretty much anything. Founders of political, religious, and social movements have usually used false premises as the bases for their movements. The premises are often stated outright as the principles of the organization, but they are sometimes unstated or misstated.

False ...
  2. Fine Art of False Premises

by , 09-12-2017 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Using false premises allows one to create a seemingly logical argument that is false. An easy way to build on false premises is to base one’s argument on opinions, rather than facts. For example, sometime last week I saw several things to the effect that ACC had caused hurricane Harvey. The first time I heard that, I just laughed, but with several repeats I started to be concerned. Apparently, some people have forgotten that hurricanes existed even back in the Little Ice Age; they start without ...

Updated 09-13-2017 at 07:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Ignoring History

by , 09-03-2017 at 04:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. (George Santayana)
    Those who do remember the past are condemned to watch in horror as those who forgot the history repeat it.

Recently the knowledge of history seems to have diminished. I probably have been wasting my time, but I recently posted a blog post about Afghanistan, because there is so much history that suggests that invading Afghanistan is a bad idea. Similarly, it has been known for a fairly long time ...

Updated 09-12-2017 at 02:28 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Afghanistan

by , 08-22-2017 at 07:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I noticed that the moron (my apologies to other people of low intelligence) in the Oval Office has decided to send more troops into Afghanistan, and I started thinking about the string of adventures in Afghanistan, a string of failures that goes back to when the Hindus went through there on their way to India. The current string of foolishness goes back to when the king (Mohammed Zahir Shah) was overthrown in 1973. I won’t try to explain what happened after that, but in 1978 the USSR invaded in ...
  5. Truly Free

by , 08-14-2017 at 05:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it"
    Voltaire

Today I have seen a few things suggesting that NAZI's should be muzzled. Voltaire gave my response to that. When we start banning totalitarianists, we agree with them, because they want everything banned except what they like.

In an ideal world everyone would agree with me, not because I would have forced them, but because they would have seen ...

Updated 08-14-2017 at 05:48 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 72 1234561151 ... LastLast