View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Determinism and Time Travel

by , 04-25-2020 at 08:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Another part of the discussion of Equal Rights and freedom is whether people are capable of making free choices. Do we have free will?

If our actions, thoughts, feelings, etc. are determined does it make any difference whether we have equal legal rights; our rights would be restricted to what had been determined.

One of the paradoxes of time travel is the possibility of reversing the sequence of cause and effect, and the cause and effect relationship is fundamental ...
  2. Philosophy and Science of Time Travel

by , 09-12-2018 at 10:22 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those of us in the Time Travel business frequently encounter people who are dubious about the possibility of Time Travel at other than the traditional rate, even though we having been using time travel for centuries, and the theoretical possibility was discovered long before that. Apparently, they have the idea that time has a sort of solid existence the way that matter appears to be solid (but that’s for another time). Time, like space, is separation. Space separates pieces of matter, while time ...

Updated 09-12-2018 at 10:26 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Space and Time Travel

by , 11-27-2017 at 10:22 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It has come to my attention that there are some people who do not think that time travel (that is, travel through time at a rate that is different from the ordinary velocity) is possible. It has been mathematically proven that time travel is possible (see link below), General Relativity predicts time travel, and many interpretations of Quantum Theory allow or require that time travel exist.

This started as thoughts on the Nature of Space, but time and space are part of the same thing. ...

Updated 11-27-2017 at 03:19 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Serfs Anonymous

by , 02-13-2014 at 10:47 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was just writing the submission guidelines for a magazine that I am planning to start, when I came to the matter of the Fantasy subgenre. For some reason it has remained stuck in the Middle Ages, and I wonder why. There is something cute about knights, but is a strongly hierarchical society all that interesting or desirable, or what. Do the writers of that sort of thing want to be serfs in a restored feudal society? If that’s the sort of society they want, then they must realize that I would ...

Updated 02-13-2014 at 06:35 PM by PeterL (typos)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. World Level

by , 08-02-2013 at 02:58 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    J. R. R. Tolkien wrote about “secondary worlds,” imaginary worlds created by writers that are internally consistent. But there are other derivative worlds: those of the Many Worlds that split off from the original “primary world”, as decision points came into existence. These are the Many Worlds referenced in the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Theory (or THE THEORY OF THE UNIVERSAL WAVEFUNCTION, as Mr Hugh Everett, III titled his paper). There may be infinity of such worlds, but Occam’s razor ...

Updated 08-03-2013 at 11:09 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast