View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Struggle for Civil and Political Rights

by , 08-20-2019 at 01:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have gotten the impression that American schools do not teach Civics very well. There seem to be U.S. citizens who think that the people should do what the government says, and that the Duty of Civil Disobedience is not a responsibility that Americans should take seriously. The matter of how citizens should act in a republic has a great deal formal philosophical literature behind it, and its origin go back before the origin of organized government. I could go back to Plato’s Republic and some ...

Updated 08-20-2019 at 05:20 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Eliminating Election Fraud

by , 08-06-2019 at 05:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Voter fraud has been common in some times and places, but it mostly went out of style many decades ago, Candidate fraud is perhaps even more popular now that it was in the past.
    It used to be that politicians in the U.S.A. were some of the best people in the country, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Madison, and so on. But that came to an end in the 1820’s and 1830’s, when people like Andy Jackson started doing well in elections. There had been a few populists and demagogues before that, ...
  3. Automobile Era

by , 08-03-2019 at 04:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I just red an article from the New Yorker, "Was the Automotive Era a Terrible Mistake?" By Nathan Heller.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...GSe6mI5KV2vtJk
    I don't think the automobile era was a mistake, but that article was, for the most part. Private transportation has been around for as long as there are records; although at the beginning of that era shank's mare ...