View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Writing Fiction versus Writing Non-Fiction

by , 02-15-2017 at 05:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I was talking to someone about some of the works of Samuel L. Clemens, AKA Mark Twain. I was encouraging the other person to read Roughing It and Life on the Mississippi, both of which are memoirs, rather than fiction. Then we touched on the matter of most of Twain’s fiction not being all that good. But that made sense, because Twain was a reporter of considerable experience, so he wrote in a reportorial fashion.

Good reporters are honest people who are inclined to accurately ...

Updated 02-15-2017 at 06:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Online Personality and Psychological Tests

by , 08-12-2015 at 02:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Or Are You A Psychopath?

I still amuse myself with online personality questionnaires, and some of them are entertaining. I recently took the Psychopath test, and the result was “The complete opposite of a psychopath.” I have done similar questionnaires in the past; I even joined OKCupid to take their Psychopath test. I have flunked all of those tests, not that I thought that I was a psychopath. These questionnaires certainly aren't rigorous, but they do give some idea of general tendencies. ...

Updated 08-14-2015 at 09:42 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Some Problems with Dating Sites

by , 12-10-2013 at 04:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It may be a mistake, but I am about to play Andy Rooney.

In an attempt to meet interesting and pleasant women, I joined some dating sites, but I have learned that those are not for me. Recently I got emails from two such sites inviting me to log in to my account. That would have been O.K., if I had created accounts with those sites, but I hadn’t. I went to them to try to eliminate myself from their rosters, and I think that I succeeded with one, but AsianBeauties.com sent a rather ...

Updated 12-10-2013 at 09:32 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized