View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ending Homelessness

by , 07-30-2021 at 09:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again, I find myself returning to this difficult matter. Difficult though it is, I think that it is possible to accomplish, but it will require changes in tax policy and in some business customs.

As we all know, there was an equilibrium in the housing market with respect to incomes until the 1970's or 80's a single person making minimum wage could rent an apartment in most places in the U.S.A., and a well paid person had plenty of money left after housing expenses. The change ...
  2. Loss of Reason

by , 04-21-2021 at 09:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about the decrease of rational thinking that has been apparent in public discourse in America in recent years. Thinking about the time period and other things that were going one made me wonder if there was a relationship between decreased logic in public discourse and the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. Did the fact that the mentally ill no longer were kept away from the general population suggest that irrationality was acceptable? I am hesitant about writing this, because ...
  3. Empty Barrels

by , 06-26-2019 at 01:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Empty Barrels Make the Most Noise.

For something else that I am writing, I have been thinking about evolution of humans. It is somewhat surprising that intelligence didn’t increase in similar amounts to all people during evolution, but has been noted that there is considerable breadth in the range of "normal intelligence".

This came to mind in regard to drunks, bums, petty criminals, the mentally ill, and the underclass, those who are outside the economy ...
  4. Treating the Insane

by , 07-29-2016 at 03:01 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For the last few decades the mentally ill have been treated largely on an outpatient basis. And, as I pointed out in my post on homelessness, most homeless people in the U.S.A. have some sort of mental illness. Some mornings a guy who believes a number of conspiracy theories sits near in Starbucks and treats me to his theories. Yesterday he admitted that he hears voices. This morning a quiet, pleasant guy I am acquainted with was punched in the face on a bus by a woman who is fairly mad. It is pretty ...
  5. Getting Them Off the Streets

by , 07-21-2016 at 05:03 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Comments about homelessness in the U.S.A.

Here in Amherst, Massachusetts the issue of homelessness has become a major thing recently because of some rather unpleasant people who seem to like to stay in public view. There have been homeless people here for decades, or longer, but that is true of all college towns. In the past, most of the homeless people had the good sense to be polite and keep a low profile, and those who were not polite usually were rather clearly mentally ill. For ...

Updated 07-26-2016 at 02:18 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast