View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Struggle for Civil and Political Rights

by , 08-20-2019 at 01:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have gotten the impression that American schools do not teach Civics very well. There seem to be U.S. citizens who think that the people should do what the government says, and that the Duty of Civil Disobedience is not a responsibility that Americans should take seriously. The matter of how citizens should act in a republic has a great deal formal philosophical literature behind it, and its origin go back before the origin of organized government. I could go back to Plato’s Republic and some ...

Updated 08-20-2019 at 05:20 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. What's Wrong with Gun Control

by , 10-09-2017 at 03:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Sometimes I wonder whether people in the U.S.A. ever bother reading the documents that are the basis of the U.S. government. There have been other countries that declared independence from a mother country and produced a declaration of independence, but from what I know of those documents, they were in legalistic style, so they are not easy to read. The U.S. Declaration of Independence was well written by someone who knew what he was doing; although it was damaged somewhat by amendments on the floor ...

Updated 10-11-2017 at 07:35 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Free Speech and Its Utility

by , 05-10-2015 at 06:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The idea of free speech has been around for quite a while. It was essential to Ancient Greek democracy, and in ancient times the suppression of free speech was often a clear sign that government was acting badly. The actual origins of the idea of free speech aren't important, and the origins predate history, so there is a limit on what we can say about it. But the re-emergence of free speech during and after the Reformation and during the Age of Reason is very important to the concept of free speech ...

Updated 05-11-2015 at 10:10 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized