View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Falsifying Data

by , 07-23-2022 at 03:42 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Today, July 22, 2022, I ran into another example of someone(s) trying to control how people thought about something by controlling the data. Specifically, it was in regard to the Cambrian Explosion. The manipulator of facts had a set of conclusions and edited the facts to get there, and other opinions be damned. That was how news media in the Soviet Union turned opinion toward the government, and it is how the U.S. Government tries to turn opinion in its favor. That method is easiest to see in regard ...
  2. Great Publicity

by , 03-10-2020 at 07:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have written against marketing lies, but I never before have seen a publicity campaign as successful as what has been done with Coronavirus. Until a few months ago, most people would have expressed ignorance, if they were asked about Coronavirus; although a few would remember SARS and/or MERS. There are a few people who have actually looked into it, and I even used Coronavirus in a novel, Harry's Time Tours (soon to be renamed Causation). I recently reread that section of Causation, and it was ...
  3. Fighting Propaganda

by , 09-23-2019 at 07:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Has everything become politicized? It appears that there is no scientific information regarding climate change. Everything is either alarmist or denying everything. I realized years ago that the alarmists were alarmists and propagandists, and I found some information about the matter that was based in science, rather than in ideology, but today I looked for scientific information and found only one journal article about solar cycles, and I only found that because the authors are being attacked by ...
  4. Facts Versus Myths

by , 12-14-2018 at 07:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Facts Versus Myths

Once again today, I encountered someone who was unwilling to accept facts as facts and opined that facts were opinions, and that their "facts" were opinions. This is the kind of thinking that states as fact that someone turned water into wine, or some other absurdity was actually done. Such things also show up in politics, and I expect that ignorance of history together with a desire that certain things are the bases for culture lead people to decide to ...

Updated 12-14-2018 at 08:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Marketing Lies

by , 06-30-2018 at 03:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Beyond fake news and other forms of lying we find marketing puffery:
    “The FTC stated in 1984 that puffery does not warrant enforcement action by the Commission. In its FTC Policy Statement on Deception, the Commission stated: "The Commission generally will not pursue cases involving obviously exaggerated or puffing representations, i.e., those that the ordinary consumers do not take seriously." e.g., "The Finest Fried Chicken in the World.”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffery ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast