View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. On Civil Disobedience

by , 09-18-2021 at 02:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Today I started thinking about the people planning a march in Washington in regard to the attack on the Houses of Congress. The Duty of Civil Disobedience implies the opposite, when that is appropriate, and that would include non-governmental action against people attacking the country and its institutions.

I have no trouble imagining citizens of the U.S.A. being unhappy with some actions of the government, but I can’t understand people attacking the process of elections and asserting ...
  2. Conscientious Objection

by , 09-06-2015 at 02:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The recent action, or refusal to act, by Kimberly Jean Bailey Davis, the county clerk of a Rowan County, Kentucky has created a bit of steam and irk among people who think that homosexuals should have the privilege of marrying each other. Many of the people who have condemned her action have taken part in civil disobedience in some form themselves, and many consider most examples of Conscientious Objection admirable.

Although we usually think of Conscientious Objection in ...

Updated 09-06-2015 at 03:16 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Regarding Civil Disobedience

by , 11-08-2014 at 12:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Like Thoreau I firmly believe in the maxim: The Government that governs least governs best.” And like him I am not completely opposed to getting rid of government entirely; although that would entail more problems now than it would have in 1849, when Thoreau wrote “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience”, but that essay puts forth some arguments that are not commonly given.

I may have missed a few paragraphs, but I reread “On the Duty of Civil Disobedience”, and I was impressed. Thoreau ...