View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Crises in the News

by , 07-22-2023 at 02:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Decades ago, we learned about grade inflation in schools and colleges. Today we are having another kind of inflation; Journalism is inflating everything into a crisis. And it isn’t just journalism; the government is doing the same thing. Yesterday I got an emergency notification on my phone that there was a flash flood watch. There was a thunderstorm later, but I was nowhere near any watercourse that flooded.

If that were the only crisis. Then it would be amusing, but people have ...
  2. Crises in the News

by , 07-22-2023 at 02:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Decades ago, we learned about grade inflation in schools and colleges. Today we are having another kind of inflation; Journalism is inflating everything into a crisis. And it isn’t just journalism; the government is doing the same thing. Yesterday I got an emergency notification on my phone that there was a flash flood watch. There was a thunderstorm later, but I was nowhere near any watercourse that flooded.

If that were the only crisis. Then it would be amusing, but people have ...
  3. Medical Communications

by , 03-11-2022 at 08:57 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For the last few years, I have had more contact with the medical professionals than in earlier years, and I have learned some interesting things about those people. For one thing, they are are a varied bunch. They all went through medical school and so on, but they are humans and show the kind of variation that all humans do. Many of the medical practitioners that I have met, I like, and some of them I would call friends. Unfortunately, trying to communicate with them in regard to medical matters ...
  4. End of History

by , 06-27-2020 at 08:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't like the term “nihilism”, but recently I have found myself using that on a few occasions; although it may have been misplaced. I have used it in reference to people who use their own set of pseudo-facts in place of history. People like the ones who tore down the statue of U.S. Grant, ostensibly because he owned a slave for a time. In that case, they were also ignoring the matter of him leading the North to victory over the Confederate States of America. Grant wasn't the nicest person around, ...
  5. Works in Progress

by , 02-21-2019 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    From time to time, people ask me what I am writing, and I usually refuse to comment, and sometimes I tell why, and I did that today.

The reason is simple, many stories have one good telling, so I better get it written while I can. A number of years ago I thought of a great story, and I went through and thought out every bit of it from opening to dialogue to the ending. One evening, before I wrote it down I told some friends the story in all details that I could think of. They all ...