View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Corona Virus

by , 02-01-2022 at 09:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I became interested in Corona Viruses several year ago, because I was planning a novel that would include the Really Great Pandemic, and I wanted a suitable disease. I considered several candidates, including Yersinia Pestis, which causes Plague in its three forms, Influenza, which is a popular communicable disease, and a few others, but most of the other diseases didn't make it past the initial review, because they were too difficult to spread, or they were too difficult to obtain. I used Plague ...
  2. Vaccine of No?

by , 08-16-2020 at 05:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Life is a Gamble

It seems that some people are lining up to refuse that Coronavirus vaccines that are being developed. That might be a good gamble, but vaccines have saved many, many more lives than they have hurt, but the odds vary dramatically from disease to disease.

The first vaccine was for Smallpox, and the word “vaccine” was derived from that, because a culture of Cowpox was given to a healthy person, who would develop immunity from that. Since Cowpox ...
  3. Increasing America's Intelligence

by , 04-30-2020 at 09:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I saw a website earlier that suggested a new American Revolution (see link below). That might be a good idea, but this site was suggesting revolting over the closing of most of the economy, and apparently they want to have all restrictions on activity to be removed. I can understand that, and I don't like government ordering me to do anything. On the other hand, associating with people who are carrying a highly contagious disease who apparently have not made any attempt to avoid infection isn't ...

Updated 04-30-2020 at 09:46 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Creating a Pandemic

by , 03-27-2020 at 08:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't have the detailed information, but judging from what shows up online, it appears that the R0 of the Covid19 virus is about three or a little more, that means that each person infected spreads it to three other people. That's a middling level of contagiousness, but it may be deceptive, because about 50% of infections are asymptomatic. That person running around the block might be carrying a serious infection that attacks lungs, but she may run a five minute mile and show no signs of the infection. ...

Updated 03-27-2022 at 10:05 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Great Publicity

by , 03-10-2020 at 07:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have written against marketing lies, but I never before have seen a publicity campaign as successful as what has been done with Coronavirus. Until a few months ago, most people would have expressed ignorance, if they were asked about Coronavirus; although a few would remember SARS and/or MERS. There are a few people who have actually looked into it, and I even used Coronavirus in a novel, Harry's Time Tours (soon to be renamed Causation). I recently reread that section of Causation, and it was ...