View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. End of History

by , 06-27-2020 at 08:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't like the term “nihilism”, but recently I have found myself using that on a few occasions; although it may have been misplaced. I have used it in reference to people who use their own set of pseudo-facts in place of history. People like the ones who tore down the statue of U.S. Grant, ostensibly because he owned a slave for a time. In that case, they were also ignoring the matter of him leading the North to victory over the Confederate States of America. Grant wasn't the nicest person around, ...
  2. Sexism

by , 04-03-2016 at 04:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few hours ago I read a disturbing discussion on an online forum. It was about whether it was acceptable to ignore sexism in writing a work of fiction. Most of the replies seemed to assume that sexism as a cultural form was a large part of the life of all women. Not being a woman, I can’t speak to all of that, but the concept of sexism that was being discussed seemed to be related to the different sex roles of men and women, and those roles are imposed by DNA and nature, not by culture.

Updated 04-09-2016 at 09:12 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized