View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. End of History

by , 06-27-2020 at 08:27 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't like the term “nihilism”, but recently I have found myself using that on a few occasions; although it may have been misplaced. I have used it in reference to people who use their own set of pseudo-facts in place of history. People like the ones who tore down the statue of U.S. Grant, ostensibly because he owned a slave for a time. In that case, they were also ignoring the matter of him leading the North to victory over the Confederate States of America. Grant wasn't the nicest person around, ...
  2. Edited History

by , 05-03-2019 at 04:00 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For some reason, earlier today I recalled a couple of events that have already been edited out of the history of the 21st century. Unfortunately, I do not have archival information about either event, so many people won’t believe that they happened. In the end, I found that these items haven’t been deleted, just ignored and pushed out of the generally available record.

Neither item was widely reported when it happened, but there were reports online. The first one was when in the Summer ...

Updated 05-04-2019 at 10:30 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Ignoring History

by , 09-03-2017 at 04:36 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. (George Santayana)
    Those who do remember the past are condemned to watch in horror as those who forgot the history repeat it.

Recently the knowledge of history seems to have diminished. I probably have been wasting my time, but I recently posted a blog post about Afghanistan, because there is so much history that suggests that invading Afghanistan is a bad idea. Similarly, it has been known for a fairly long time ...

Updated 09-12-2017 at 02:28 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Pivotal Events in History

by , 05-16-2015 at 03:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about a piece of fiction that I’m writing; it is built around a somewhat mysterious event that led to great changes in the world. It was a simple murder by an unknown attacker that led to religious persecutions, the Inquisition, and great political changes in Europe. This got me to thinking about other pivotal events in history, so I leaned back and started thinking. I made a list of a dozen or so, but there must be more. I searched online, and found a few similar lists, but most ...

Updated 05-20-2015 at 05:21 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized