View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Increasing America's Intelligence

by , 04-30-2020 at 09:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I saw a website earlier that suggested a new American Revolution (see link below). That might be a good idea, but this site was suggesting revolting over the closing of most of the economy, and apparently they want to have all restrictions on activity to be removed. I can understand that, and I don't like government ordering me to do anything. On the other hand, associating with people who are carrying a highly contagious disease who apparently have not made any attempt to avoid infection isn't ...

Updated 04-30-2020 at 09:46 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Determinism and Time Travel

by , 04-25-2020 at 08:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Another part of the discussion of Equal Rights and freedom is whether people are capable of making free choices. Do we have free will?

If our actions, thoughts, feelings, etc. are determined does it make any difference whether we have equal legal rights; our rights would be restricted to what had been determined.

One of the paradoxes of time travel is the possibility of reversing the sequence of cause and effect, and the cause and effect relationship is fundamental ...
  3. They Cried Wolf

by , 04-15-2020 at 07:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    They Cried Wolf

If this upsets you, then I apologizes in advance.

Epidemiologists don't have huge amount of work, when there is no epidemic going on, so they plan for the next major pandemic and reflect on the last major pandemic. The model for a bad pandemic is still the Spanish Flu of 1918 (actually 1917, 1918, and 1919), and the expectation is for a pandemic that will be even deadlier, and at least 50 million died in that pandemic. And the response to Covid-19 ...
  4. Weapons Grade

by , 04-07-2020 at 06:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have read that some people think that CoVid-19 is a weaponized virus built in a lab run by the U.S. or maybe Mossad or China or someone else. I think that idea is silly for several reasons. Disease producing microorganisms are very hard to get to do much. They don't follow orders well. In addition, viruses may mutate into something that won't do the desired job. Microorganisms are also hard to herd. While people can herd cattle to go to certain places; it is rather hard or impossible to herd things ...