View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Corporate personhood

by , 02-26-2022 at 11:07 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Every so often I see something about corporations being persons in law, and I, like many others, think that is an absurdity that should be eliminated. A little while ago, I reread some of the matters and court decisions that led to that absurdity, and I realized that it is not completely absurd. It is convenient for a large group of natural persons to have instruments whereby they can control property or businesses in common, but the absurdity comes in when certain individual rights come into the ...
  2. On Madness

by , 02-19-2022 at 10:21 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Irrationality may have a useful place in human activity. For one thing, it allows people to avoid depression when stuck is a hopeless situation. There seldom is a truly hopeless situation, but there are some that look like that, and dreams of something good coming along are better than stewing in the bad situation.

I didn't start writing this for that reason. In December I had an even more interesting situation that was brought back to mind when I briefly spoke with a woman who is ...
  3. Real Pandemic

by , 02-05-2022 at 12:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For the last two years, we have been told by some medical people and by government bureaucrats, and by the newsies that Covid19 is a causing a horrific pandemic. I think that it is largely exaggeration. Covid is a new variation of a virus that has been around for a long time. Usually, the cause of death is whatever the attending physician puts on the notice, and generally the attending physician is concentrating on one thing and may not even know about other conditions that affect a given individual. ...
  4. Corona Virus

by , 02-01-2022 at 09:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I became interested in Corona Viruses several year ago, because I was planning a novel that would include the Really Great Pandemic, and I wanted a suitable disease. I considered several candidates, including Yersinia Pestis, which causes Plague in its three forms, Influenza, which is a popular communicable disease, and a few others, but most of the other diseases didn't make it past the initial review, because they were too difficult to spread, or they were too difficult to obtain. I used Plague ...