View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Art of the Steal

by , 10-21-2017 at 03:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Donald Trump has made a lot of his skill in negotiation and making deals. He hasn't been crowing about that recently, but there still are implicit claims. Those claims don't stand up to scrutiny, and he seems to have been more skilled at stealing than in dealing.

A large amount of his money he gained through bankruptcy court, rather than through doing business. There are questions as to how many bankruptcies he has had. He admits to four, but there have been at least six, and if one ...

Updated 10-21-2017 at 08:32 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. What's Wrong with Gun Control

by , 10-09-2017 at 03:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Sometimes I wonder whether people in the U.S.A. ever bother reading the documents that are the basis of the U.S. government. There have been other countries that declared independence from a mother country and produced a declaration of independence, but from what I know of those documents, they were in legalistic style, so they are not easy to read. The U.S. Declaration of Independence was well written by someone who knew what he was doing; although it was damaged somewhat by amendments on the floor ...

Updated 10-11-2017 at 07:35 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. On Fascism

by , 10-01-2017 at 08:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Strength through unity
    Versus
    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire in his Essay on Tolerance

Fascism is a word that is thrown around without people even thinking about what it means. It started as an Italian word for a political group, and it derived from the Latin word ‘fasces’, which was the bundle of rod from which an axe protruded. Until Mussolini started using the term it could have been applied to any political ...

Updated 10-02-2017 at 04:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fun Uses for False Premises

by , 09-19-2017 at 03:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I started writing about false premises as a logical fallacy, when I realized that false premises have frequently been used as the basis for an ideology. By selecting a suitable premise one can "prove" pretty much anything. Founders of political, religious, and social movements have usually used false premises as the bases for their movements. The premises are often stated outright as the principles of the organization, but they are sometimes unstated or misstated.

False ...

Updated 09-20-2017 at 05:29 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Fine Art of False Premises

by , 09-12-2017 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Using false premises allows one to create a seemingly logical argument that is false. An easy way to build on false premises is to base one’s argument on opinions, rather than facts. For example, sometime last week I saw several things to the effect that ACC had caused hurricane Harvey. The first time I heard that, I just laughed, but with several repeats I started to be concerned. Apparently, some people have forgotten that hurricanes existed even back in the Little Ice Age; they start without ...

Updated 09-13-2017 at 07:53 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 73 1234561151 ... LastLast