View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Science Lies

by , 09-05-2021 at 05:03 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Mark Twain — 'A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.'

I think I should blame the popular press, but there may be blame for the education industry also. Within the last few days, two different people tried to “correct” a piece of science that I mentioned, but they were wrong, and my fact was the real fact.

The first time was with respect to “climate change”. The claimer insisted that the popular delusion that climate change ...

Updated 09-05-2021 at 09:43 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Carbon Dioxide Red Herring

by , 09-27-2019 at 09:11 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I find it annoying to read or hear assertions that human activity is causing climate change especially when the people making the assertions never even heard of the Milkovitch cycles and don’t even know what makes some gases "greenhouse gases" while other gases do not create the greenhouse effect. Many articles on the subject give the impression the the author does not understand what he is writing.

One item that is less prevalent now than it was a few years ago is the ...

Updated 09-28-2019 at 06:25 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Real Catastrophes

by , 03-25-2015 at 12:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    They may not be as good as conspiracies, but many people that I have encountered love catastrophes, but they seem to prefer non-events and minor catastrophes, even though there have been some real dusies in the past. Right up there with the Biblical flood was the New Madrid earthquake, actually a series of earthquakes that began on December 16, 1811 and lasted until March 15, 1812. The USGS mentions three major quakes and series of aftershocks, while Jared Brooks recorded many shocks during that ...
  4. The Modern King Canute

by , 11-22-2013 at 04:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t like repeating myself, but sometimes appropriate people do not hear, so repitition is necessary. Today I had the misfortune of hearing Obama making noise about trying to command the tide to stand in its place, specifically the tide of cyclical change in climate. Those who deny the validity of science still believe, in a few cases, the CO2 put into the atmosphere by human activities has led to an increase in surface temperatures. There are a few problems with that: CO2 is a very weak greenhouse ...

Updated 11-23-2013 at 03:45 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized