View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Covid and Obsessive Behavior

by , 12-13-2020 at 07:57 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Obsessive compulsive Disorder and Coronavirus

“Most people have occasional obsessive thoughts or compulsive behaviors. In an obsessive-compulsive disorder, however, these symptoms generally last more than an hour each day and interfere with daily life.”
    https://nami.org/About-Mental-Illnes...iAAEgLqA_D_BwE

Until earlier this year, repeatedly washing one’s ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Alcohol and Equal Rights for All

by , 03-20-2019 at 09:41 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Humans have been consuming alcohol for at least as long as there have been humans, and there are good reasons to believe that the desire for more alcohol was the driving force behind the development of agriculture. Humans probably got their first tastes of alcohol from fallen fruit that naturally fermented. There's no way to tell for sure, but there are signs of ale, sort of, having been made from seeds about twenty-five thousand years ago, and it is generally accepted that agriculture developed ...
  3. Regarding Stupidity and Homelessness

by , 06-08-2016 at 01:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I started a thoughtful and detailed blog on the problem of homelessness in the U.S.A., its causes, and suggestions for correcting the problem. After considering the matter more carefully, I realized that I was wasting my time, because the fundamental problem is stupidity, plain and simple. I realize that this is somewhat oversimplified, but when we get down to the nitty-gritty that’s what’s there. But I will admit to over-generalizing. I am somewhat familiar with the homeless population ...
  4. Alcohol and Development

by , 12-01-2014 at 09:18 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For some reason I was thinking about the unfortunate matter of prohibitions on alcohol that are age based and the matter of binge drinking and stupidity. It probably came to mind because there is an oversized university near here, and it isn’t easy to get a sandwich and a pint of ale together (some fools think that it will encourage alcoholism or something like that). It is sad that the custom of consuming alcoholic beverages with meals is dying out, but that’s what the people who think that they ...

Updated 12-02-2014 at 10:23 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Curing Obesity

by , 11-10-2013 at 03:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Note: I had written a blog on how to solve the Middle East Crisis, but that was too controversial, so the following is being posted instead.

I have gotten the impression that there is a great deal of concern with the number of people who are obese; although the people who are concerned with the level of obesity tend not to be obese, and indeed there are obese people who are completely unconcerned with the situation, but the causes and cure for obesity are relativity simple ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized