View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Character Abduction

by , 11-01-2018 at 09:03 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently I was writing a story about Harry visiting Atlantis, and Plato entered into the story for obvious reasons, and that got me to thinking about using people and characters as characters. That was especially true, when I was trying to use Socrates as a character also, but that didn't work out, because his execution came too early in Plato's career. But that didn't stop me from wondering what Socrates was actually like in the real world. That was after I realized that I didn't think much of ...
  2. Characterization, Again

by , 08-23-2013 at 02:33 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    One of the ways that I annoy humans is to refuse to ask or answer the question “How are you?” It isn’t that I treat the question as some Germans, who will answer the question in extreme detail, which is why they usually just say “Hi.” No, I regard the potential answers to be inaccurate in some significant way, because people are horrible at self-characterization. Of course, many people just automatically say “Fine and you,” which is close to no answer. Fundamentally, humans aren’t very good at describing ...

Updated 08-24-2013 at 10:19 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized