View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Targetting Older People

by , 04-06-2022 at 12:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have noticed that advertisers seem to have no respect for the intelligence and knowledge of people of retirement age and older. The products advertised for seniors assume that the seniors are either in poor health or mentally retarded. And I can’t forget that woman with the creaky voice who tells us that she has fallen and can’t get up.

There must be people who buy such things, but they probably were taken in by fraudulent advertising when they were younger also, so they probably ...
  2. Works in Progress

by , 02-21-2019 at 07:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    From time to time, people ask me what I am writing, and I usually refuse to comment, and sometimes I tell why, and I did that today.

The reason is simple, many stories have one good telling, so I better get it written while I can. A number of years ago I thought of a great story, and I went through and thought out every bit of it from opening to dialogue to the ending. One evening, before I wrote it down I told some friends the story in all details that I could think of. They all ...
  3. Photography and Memory Problems

by , 07-22-2015 at 05:39 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    We have known for many years that photography is related to memory deficiencies, but it has not been demonstrated whether photography is the cause of defective memory, or if it is a result of having a defective memory, specifically an attempt to fill in for a natural memory, and it is possible that it varies from case to case.

It must be a pleasant surprise to people who can’t remember much that there are devices to allow them to save images of persons, things, places, and events ...
  4. Photography, a Symptom of Dementia?

by , 08-20-2014 at 01:28 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Photography, a Symptom of Dementia

There was a convention of photographers near here recently. It spurred me to think more about the mental aberration that causes people to take photographs, but even after considering the matter, I am not certain exactly why people engage in that behavior, but there probably are several reasons.

The clearest rationale for photography is that photographers have poor memories. If they had good memories, then they wouldn’t even ...
  5. Remember?

by , 12-31-2013 at 05:43 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Memory is strange. The human memory isn’t completely analogous with computer hard drives, but there is a lot of similarity. The biggest difference is that we can’t tell whether our memories are accurate. But with magnetic memory we can’t tell whether the data was accurately recorded; although errors in the actual memory are usually obvious. There may be errors in our memories, but the brain plasters those over with something, so we can’t tell whether there was an error or something else ...