View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Replacing Drugs with Sex

by , 01-25-2023 at 03:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Humans often ask the wrong questions, then are disappointed when the answers do not work, or work as they would have liked. A realm where that is blinding clear is in regard to the drugs that people use for amusement. Many people ask or wonder about the reasons for drug use, but the answers that they see often related to family, upbringing, environment, socialization, etc., but there is little said about neurotransmitters and hormones. Much drug use is an attempt to get the level of something back ...
  2. What We Would Lose

by , 11-18-2015 at 10:25 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    On an online forum that I belong to someone asked for information about how a major illegal drug purchase might be done for a work of fiction that he is working on. I just realized that when we legalize everything he will lose the subject matter of his novel. There may still be a few things written about historical drug activities, but the ordinary businesses of drug companies like Pfizer, Sandoz, and so on aren’t as interesting for fiction as the illegal things that go on. A whole swath of fiction ...

Updated 11-20-2015 at 08:26 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Silk Road

by , 06-01-2015 at 03:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I never paid any attention to Silk Road, when it was in business, because I had no interest, but I find the life sentence for Ross Ulbricht to be absurd. Silk Road was an instrument for facilitating trade.

The charges were: “narcotics trafficking; distribution of narcotics by means of the Internet; narcotics trafficking conspiracy; continuing criminal enterprise; conspiracy to aid and abet computer hacking; conspiracy to traffic in fraudulent identity documents; and money laundering ...

Updated 06-01-2015 at 05:33 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Put the Mafia Out Of Business

by , 01-13-2014 at 05:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Is it a proper role for government to save people from themselves?

There are many people who think that they know how everyone should live his or her life. Those are the people who enacted laws that ban actions that harm no one, such as laws banning the use of certain chemicals. There are people who are not capable of taking care of themselves, and there should be protection for those, but the overwhelming majority of people are capable of determining for themselves.
    Categories
    Uncategorized