View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Ignorance Over All Else

by , 06-21-2022 at 04:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was going to write about the predilection of people in scientific positions to ignore facts and follow things that were common beliefs before the science was discovered. Then I saw a column from the Boston Globe regarding a push to change the name of George Washington University, because George Washington had owned slaves, and that reminded me of the move by ignorant bigots to give “reparations” to people whose ancestors may have been slaves.

I understand the disapproval of slavery, ...
  2. Good Nutrition & Better Logic

by , 08-06-2021 at 05:41 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don't generally even think about nutrition, but it came to mind recently as a widely popular marketing scam. And the horrible lunch I had today (chicken with coconut curry) tamped it down. The chicken would have been dandy, it it had simply cooked in its fat and a little added water to make it fill the rice, but there was no fat in the chicken, and it was dry, so it was barely edible. Then I remembered that fat has bee relegated to a low place in current American cookery, and that is very unfortunate, ...
  3. Medicine and Poor Logic

by , 11-19-2014 at 08:25 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The matter of the fraud about serum cholesterol causing heart disease came up at Starbucks this morning. It was early enough that we avoided a fight (we agreed). I don’t blame any particular people for making any grand conspiracy, and I consider this myth simply a side effect of many people and businesses trying to make more money. I don’t begrudge anyone a living, but making money by damaging the health of millions, or even billions, of people is a bit extreme.

There is no doubt ...

Updated 11-28-2014 at 05:40 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized