View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Freedom to Succeed

by , 03-15-2021 at 08:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have written about equality before the law in the past, but there are other varieties of equality, and I was just thinking about equality of wealth. That was because I saw something about Lizzie Warren's idea for a wealth tax.

It seems that she and some others think that everyone should have equal wealth. That may seem nice in theory, but it never has worked in practice. But I can understand why some people are unhappy that there are people as wealthy as Bezos and Gates in a country ...
  2. Restoring the U.S. Economy

by , 08-18-2015 at 03:45 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    One day recently I read an article in The Economist (link below) on how the U.S.A. loses companies because of the horrible tax policies, and I read Comments by one of the people running for President who advocated that same problems that the article had pointed out. The article in the Economist summed up the problem quite nicely. Corporate income taxes in the U.S. are set up so that it’s cheaper and easier to move one’s corporation to another country.

There are two major problems ...
  3. Superabundance of Laws

by , 11-03-2014 at 10:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I sent a letter to several newspapers in regard to one of the referenda that will be on the Massachusetts. Perhaps it will make a difference, but there was what I regard as a problem with the question, because neither side of the question was good. Fundamentally, it is a matter of over-regulating and over-legislating. There are too many laws and regulations. I was initially just thinking about state laws, but the problem is much worse when one looks at federal laws and regulations. ...

Updated 11-03-2014 at 10:32 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized