View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Corona Virus

by , 02-01-2022 at 09:50 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I became interested in Corona Viruses several year ago, because I was planning a novel that would include the Really Great Pandemic, and I wanted a suitable disease. I considered several candidates, including Yersinia Pestis, which causes Plague in its three forms, Influenza, which is a popular communicable disease, and a few others, but most of the other diseases didn't make it past the initial review, because they were too difficult to spread, or they were too difficult to obtain. I used Plague ...
  2. Funny News

by , 06-16-2015 at 03:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    6/16/2015
    For a change there are some things in the news that are truly funny. That woman who has been masquerading as a Black person is funny. I probably shouldn't laugh much about this, and I haven’t, because the idea of there being several races of humans was only dreamed up a few centuries ago, and there is no scientific justification for such definitions (I’ll bet the unscientific readers will complain about that comment).

The actual facts are that there no races of humans, ...

Updated 06-17-2015 at 02:27 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Evolution, Dentition, and Diet

by , 09-02-2013 at 03:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The basics of human evolution are pretty well known, but there is one matter that hasn’t been tied down, yet. That is the matter of tooth size, cooking, and diet; these are closely related, and they relate to digestion and metabolism. The earliest hominids and their ancestors had teeth that were similar to present day apes, including large canine teeth and larger molars (for grinding up vegetable matter. The large teeth were necessary to process coarse, hard foods such as nuts, and woody plants. ...

Updated 09-03-2013 at 09:46 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. On Predicting the Future

by , 04-03-2013 at 10:43 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am not sure whether the universe is deterministic, but it seems to be mostly determined by cause and effect, and I have never seen anything that did not appear to have a cause. If everything does have a cause, and we can determine all of the causes that are having effects on a time and place, then it should be possible to predict what will happen. In theory it is quite simple, but in practice it isn’t quite so easy.

I have read a fair amount of literature, both fiction and non-fiction, ...

Updated 04-07-2013 at 03:30 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized