View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Missing the Reality

by , 09-01-2016 at 06:53 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have started to think that humans are opposed to rational thought. Simply starting for a reasonable premise (a premise based in reality) and accurate evidence, and then making logical deductions based on those leads to something reasonable. It was an excellent way to figure things out, but reasoning seems to have been abandoned by many people, perhaps even most people. People often start from bits of fiction and fantasize from that. It’s one thing to kid around, but I have heard or seen too many ...
  2. Detecting and Countering Conspiracy Theories

by , 06-21-2014 at 11:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    To a large degree conspiracies are by and for people who are too lazy to think or who lack the intellectual capacity to think. Another large reason for such things is that those spreading or believing the theories lack the background information necessary for understanding that the theories are baseless. Then there are the conspiracy theories that were created as jokes but were taken seriously by some people. And I must think someone I would not speak to for reminding me to write this. Yesterday, ...
  3. Sustainability

by , 06-03-2014 at 02:29 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I had been wondering exactly people were meaning by “sustainability”, so I looked around the internet, and I still don’t know, but I get a general impression that some people think that the world should be preserved as the exact thing that they love. It appears that they think that if they can get everyone to act the way they want, then the world will be nicer.

The EPA has this on its website, and it is a set of pleasant pap. Yes, in an ideal world things would be nice.
  4. Shaving with Occam's Razor

by , 02-26-2014 at 08:36 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was wondering whether the willingness or capacity to believe conspiracy theories and similar foolishness is a matter of education, or if it is inbred. Perhaps there is an innate predisposition to accept such things that needs to be triggered by something to become active. If the latter is the case, then many or even most people will erroneously think that the trigger is the cause, rather than just setting off the underlying condition. (This is a parallel with how many people think that smoking ...
  5. Creating a New World Order

by , 03-27-2013 at 09:42 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It probably was a mistake to read it at all, but I just finished reading “The World Set Free” by H. G. Wells. It is about the nuclear war in the mid 1950’s and the aftermath of the war. The book was written a hundred years ago, before anyone actually knew what a runaway nuclear reaction would be like. He got that wrong, thinking that the chain reaction would continue for years, rather than creating a real explosion of large size. The novel was about the results, rather than the action. He pointed ...

Updated 03-27-2013 at 07:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized