View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Miscellaneous thoughts about miscellaneous matters

1. Or What?

by , 10-06-2019 at 04:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I frequently wonder about those silly Earthlings. Most of them Have serious problems with science, math, mathematics, and logic. How did they manage to develop anything even vaguely like civilization? But I haven't been able to figure out why they have such problems. But I haven't been able to figure out why. Is it herd mentality (which would be an inborn tendency) that makes them believe without question anyone who is said to be an authority, or what, but most humans seem to have a need to agree ...
  2. Truthiness

by , 11-03-2017 at 06:49 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." Various as far back as Alfred the Great

I have become a little dubious of the ability of many people to tell the difference between facts and fiction. I was going to title this ‘Truthiness’, but I found that truthiness’ has been redefined to mean something having the appearance of truth although it is not. That is part of the problem, but I am concerned with things that a simply not true at all, but people assert ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Persistence of Lies

by , 07-05-2017 at 02:26 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes.

So who really did say it? Benham's Book of Quotations credits the line to Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-1892), a celebrated English fundamentalist Baptist preacher and the author of "John Ploughman's Talk; or, Plain Advice for Plain People." His exact words were: "A lie travels round the world, while Truth is putting on her boots."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/02/we...the-twain.html ...

Updated 07-07-2017 at 08:34 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized